Getting my household items into Mexico

by Susan G @, Zihua/La Ropa, Tuesday, January 08, 2019, 08:44 (13 days ago) @ Gringo Viejo

This is what we did in Tucson nearly 4 years ago:

Go to a Mexican consulate and fill out a Menaje de Casa form before you make your app for either permanent or temporary residency. The form asks you to outline what kinds of furniture (living room, dining room, bedroom -- it's not real detailed, but broader in scope). This will enable you to import all your household items into Mexico w/out paying import taxes at the border. We had a lot of custom-made furniture that we wanted to keep.

You will, however, have to pay a moving company like Castores, which, we felt, was quite reasonable. Customs brokers can assist you. The $15,000 US price was WAY out of line. Ask around and bargain for a lower one. We paid about $400 US.

Complete thread:

 RSS Feed of thread