Long and winding road

by Ironwood @, Monday, January 18, 2021, 14:27 (41 days ago) @ Padrino

We've been coming to Mexico for 30+ years, always by "tourist visas", and have never heard of anyone leaving Mexico before the expiry of their 6 month tourist visa, and being allowed to return on that same visa. Ours (and I expect everyone elses) expired when you leave Mexico, and a new tourist visa must be obtained every time one re-enters Mexico.
Maybe the agent was referring to those oddball regulations covering only the border zone, that folks use to go back and forth in that ballpark 100 km zone, including much of Baja California?

Yikes! Are you serious! I have been using the six-month tourist visa to go in and out of Mexico for years! Not one agent until now has said anything. I have a friend who did the same for many years until he and his wife finally moved down to Todos Santos (between La Paz and Los Cabos in Baja California) and are now Mexican citizens. Ah, guess I really have to get my butt in gear to get my visa permanente "rentista!" I downloaded the application. Doesn't look too difficult. Have a residence address in Rosarito all lined up!

Todos Santos, Rosarito......maybe, as I wrote, that works for Baja California. Out of curiousity, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has arrived by air direct from the US or Canada, at, for example, Zihua Immigration, and been re-admitted back into Mexico by showing their still-valid - for - max.- 6 month tourist visa. In fact, we've always been required to surrender our tourist visas when leaving Mexico by air, so we wouldn't even have an un-expired one to show.

When leaving Mexico by car, the process is admittedly different. One has to surrender their Temporary Import Permit, (TIP), but, oddly enough, not their tourist visa. In fact, at the Nogales crossing, we've always parked our car at the side of the highway, just after surrendering our TIP, and walked across the highway to the Customs & Immigration building, to hand-in our tourist visas and get our passports stamped with an exit stamp. The latter is part of documentation we have to provide to our provincial car insurance people, to get a refund of our car insurance premiums for the period we were in Mexico, (a period which our provincial government car insurance does not cover).

Complete thread:

 RSS Feed of thread