Board Newbie/ kind of :) with a Car question

by Scott ⌂, Mérida, Yucatán, Saturday, March 12, 2011, 12:21 (3411 days ago) @ ellie.d

I think the answer is that technically there is probably a regulation saying that the the foreign car can only be in Mexico for 180 days in any 1 year period, or something like that, if it's imported with an FMM (formerly FMT) immigration permit. I didn't bother confirming that on Google, but it sounds right to me. But the reality is that regulations in Mexico are usually flexible. So even though that is probably technically true, many people, including myself, have done what you want to do before. When I did it, I got stamped out and stamped back in by the same immigration officer at the car permit building. But things are changing in Mexico. I believe the US taxpayers have been giving hundreds of millions of dollars to the Mexican authorities to, among other things, upgrade their computer systems. So now that they're going all hitech, who knows how flexible the rules still are when it comes to immigration and other border stuff.

Complete thread:

 RSS Feed of thread