Temporary Rssidency & Vehicle Import Permit

by Busvagabond@gmail.com, Thursday, November 09, 2017, 16:38 (401 days ago)

I completed my temporary residency process in Zihua today but I'm not sure what to do about my vehicle. When I crossed into Mexico, the permit I received was good for 30 days (same as my canje visa) and was told it would be extended when I completed my residency process so they'd expire/get renewed together. The immigration office didn't know what to do so they sent us to aduana at the airport. Aduana there they said we had to go back to the border. Someone else said maybe banjercito office in Lazaro Cardenas.

Can anyone tell us what we're really supposed to do?

Thank you :)


Temporary Rssidency & Vehicle Import Permit

by Talley Ho @, Thursday, November 09, 2017, 16:55 (401 days ago) @ Busvagabond@gmail.com

First, a few deep breathes, maybe some tequila.
Obviously you began your permit process in your home country. When we did ours, we did almost all of it via e-mail with our local consulate. Now that we are about to move a few select possessions down, we are working with them again, via e-mail until the last set of forms, and they are doing a great job.

E-mail the person you did your consulate work with. They are probably not the person who can take care of this, but they will know exactly who the person is that you need. From there, you should be able to get someone to take this over for you. If not, do your best to have them find out what you should do next. Ask them to make the phone calls to Mexico to find out what to do next.

If for some reason this doesn't get any results, try another consulate! The one in Oxnard, California is fabulous.

Another thing would be to find/hire a totally bilingual person who understands your situation and is willing to make phone calls and get the information you need.

It can be done, you will be fine. It's all part of the process. Frustrating, infuriating, upsetting, but part of the process.

Temporary Rssidency & Vehicle Import Permit

by Busvagabond@gmail.com, Thursday, November 09, 2017, 17:13 (401 days ago) @ Talley Ho

Talley Ho,

Thanks for the response. I'm really not worried or stressed but tequila is still not a bad idea.

My partner Patty and I handled everything ourselves as far as applying for residency, paperwork, etc. It's all been super smooth and having decent Spanish certainly helped.

At this point, I'm just hoping someone's been through the vehicle thing and can point us to the right office in the right place to get that squared away.


Temporary Rssidency & Vehicle Import Permit

by Scott, Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico, Thursday, November 09, 2017, 17:45 (401 days ago) @ Busvagabond@gmail.com

The original TIP is valid for as long as your immigration status remains valid, even if the sticker has an expired date. You lose your deposit though if you don't notify aduana, but the vehicle remains in the country legally. They have instructions on how to notify aduana on this page at Yucalandia:

Temporary Import Permits for Residente Temporal and Visitante (visitor/tourist) INM Permit Holders

That site is a really good resource for these types of questions about car permits and visas.

Temporary Residency & Vehicle Import Permit

by Busvagabond@gmail.com, Thursday, November 09, 2017, 18:15 (401 days ago) @ Scott


Thanks so much for your reply. The link you shared has great info! I really appreciate your help.