Trip Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Perry on June 04, 2000 at 16:18:59:

I visited Zihua from May 4 thru May 12. A little late for a trip report, but time flys.

General Impressions:
I really liked Zihua and the surrounding areas. The town is full of energy and purpose. Everybody I met was very helpful. The locals work very hard and yet don't seem stressed or hurried. Zihua feels like what Puerta Vallarta must have been like 40 or 50 years ago.

Hotels:
I stayed the first two nights at Casa Adriana above Madera beach. A nice room with a great view of the bay. I really liked the kitchen out on the balcony. The only problem I had was the stairs to the beach and town. 6 or 7 times a day up those stairs did me in, to old and pudgy...

So I moved to the Solimar Inn. Located in the middle of town in a residential area. Very nice hotel, color TV, A/C..balconies..etc. The manager/owner family lives on the first floor and were very gracious and helpful to me. After 10 days I felt like family. Even got to know their dog "Blackie". I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Tours:
I took several tours. The best were to Barra de Potosi Lagoon, Petatlan and Isla Ixtapa. Thanks Rob for your good advice. I also went on the all day trip (12 hours) to Acapulco. Great trip but very tiring. Saw the cliff divers and Los Flamingos hotel (loved that hotel). The trip down and back to Acapulco went through pretty contryside and many small towns. Carlos was our tour guide on all my tours and did an excellent job.
Also did the snorkeling trip on the trimaran. Crazy crew, they really worked hard making sure we all had a great time !

Playa La Ropa:
Nice beach and restaurant. Spent the day just walking the beach eating and getting some sun. The area felt "just right".

Playa Las Gatas:
Spent a day just letting the stress drain into the sand.

Isla Ixtapa:
Spent the day snorkeling at Coral Beach. Really liked that area. No stress left at this point.
Best snorkeling I found during my trip.

Restaurants:
I'm not much of a food person, but every place I ate was great. I liked JJ's Bar & Grill in Zihua
..the Clam Chowder was really super!

Ixtapa:
I'm sorry to say Ixtapa is not my cup of tea. Too many high rise hotels and sectioned off beach areas. Very little of Mexico shows thru.

Taxis:
I was very happy with the taxi service except my first ride. When I cleared customs at the airport and went over to the transportation counter and asked for a Taxi to Casa Adriana. They said $19 US. So I paid and then gave a $2 US tip!..oh well, I only paid 70 pesos to get back to the airport.

----------------------------------------------
All in all a great vacation! I have been to Cabo San Lucus, Puerto Vallarta, Matzalan and San Carlos/Queymas and I enjoyed Zihua better than any other trip.
Thanks Rob for all the advice and the use of your computer and being so close to JJ's..

Perry from Seattle

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]