More on Zihua/Ixtapa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anne on January 16, 2000 at 11:20:27:

We went to Zihua. and first visited the Crafts/Artisian market - was nice - seemed to be a lot of Americans there too. We bought some silver jewelery from a great silver store called Plata De Taxco - I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy silver in Zihua.

We then made the mistake of thinking we could walk from there to La Ropa - BIG MISTAKE - should have taken a cab. We first got lost (we did though get a chance to see real Zihua with its local's market and meat market - very much like my husband's home town, Calcutta, India)- finally found a policeman who directed us in the right direction - then walked up the hill that seperates Zihua and La Ropa - nice views though near La Casa Que Canta. It was a long walk though in the middle of the day. La Ropa was great - we walked along the beach and then ate at Casa Elvera (?). My husband loved his grilled red snapper he got there (my chicken salad was also very good) and the margritas and daiquaris we got there were good too. Very nice beach with gentle waves. It looks like you can rent Wave Runners, sea kayaks, and go parasailing or banana boating there too. La Casa Que Canta, Villa del Sol, and the Catalina-Sotavento are all on La Ropa Beach.

There are two shops we loved in Ixtapa - Little Fishes which has lots of native crafts from all over Mexico and its sister silver store right next door to it. The owner is very helpful. I would highly recommend it - its in the Los Patios shopping center in Ixtapa towards to back on the left hand side of the center.

We went to Ixtapa Island and went snorkling but it was a bit crowded and too many people selling things though maybe we should have come another day when we weren't so tired. I had a great Crazy Pina Coloda where they serve it inside a pineapple and make a face with the pineapple meat, limes, and cheeries - very cute!

Our package deal was through Transglobal who I believe uses Expo Ixtapa for their optional tours. Great tour company - ask for Roberto who was our Rep at the Westin. Through Expo Ixtapa, we went on a countryside tour which I would DEFINITELY recommend - we went and saw a plantation which had grapefruit, mangos, coconuts, a cinnamon tree, a pineapple bush (yes bush, nit tree!), lemon grass, guave (spelling?) plant (its huge!) which is used for making tequila, and papayas. They serve you very fresh unique grapefruits and also some coconut right there. Then after the plantation the tour took us to a family who makes Mexican roof tiles - very unique - it was really interesting to see how they work and live right there. My husband tried with no success to make a tile and was told jokingly that he was fired! Then we went on to Petalan - which was a great town known for its church and Saint Jesus who has many miracles associated with it plus Petalan has a gold market. After that, they took us to Playa Larga (which when we visit Zihua/Ixtapa again I would love to spend the day at - very long gorgeous beach which is very quiet and relaxing) and had lunch there on the beach at a small restaurant.

If you are fair, make sure to wear sunscreen - I did save one afternoon and that's all it took to get very sunburned!

The day we left, we went horseback riding on the beach - wonderful experience - on Playa Linda (past Club Med, the Melia, and Qualton) - you can either make reservations througha travel agency or go there on your own - it comes out to be about the same.

Make sure you wear your camera around your neck though - my husbnad put it in his pocket and it fell out and we lost it - spent an hour looking for it on the beach (our guide was very nice and looked all over the beach for it via horseback but no luck)and barely made our plane. So if anyone hears of someone finding a camera on Playa Linda please let me know!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]