Re: Bus - Taxco to Zihuatanejo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zihu@Rob on March 09, 2000 at 07:58:08:

In Reply to: Bus-Taxco to Zihuantanejo posted by Richard on March 08, 2000 at 21:00:58:

Whichever direction you're going - Zihua to Taxco or vice versa you'll want to try to get the first bus out in the early morning. From either Zihua or Taxco they leave at about 6 a.m. You want to be sure you get the Express service which is non-stop (or relatively few stops) and has a bathroom. Important on those long rides!

Both Estrella de Oro and Estrella Blanca have early buses leaving from Zihua. Estrella Blanca to Acapulco costs about $12 dollars and leaves at 6 a.m. Estrella de Oro costs a couple of dollars more and leaves an hour later. I'd take the Estrella Blanca to Acapulco. Takes about 4 hours to get there. Both buslines have terminals about a block apart in Aca. You'll want to take the Express on either busline which passes through Chilpancingo on its way to Taxco (I don't believe there's a direct non-stop to Taxco from Aca, I think they all pass through Chilpancingo, the capital of Guerrero). My wife and I on our last trip actually took a bus that dropped us off by one of the toll booths on the Autopista del Sol just before Cuernavaca and we bought tickets on the roadside from a lady who sells them there to take any bus to Taxco. The last leg was a bit crowded but we shaved over an hour off our travel time that way instead of waiting in Aca for the next bus to Taxco. But you'll probably want to just take the Taxco bus instead of being so adventurous.

From Aca to Taxco is about 2 and a half to 3 hours. It's a beautiful scenic drive whether you take the old highway or the new autopista. It's like traveling up into heaven; you keep going up, up, up into the sierra.

In Taxco I highly recommend the Hotel Agua Escondida which is right on the town's main plaza (zocalo) across from the Catedral de Santa Prisca. Their website is http://www.aguaescondida.com/. You can always find your hotel from any part of Taxco by looking for the Cathedral (it's easy to get lost in their small winding streets). Just about everything is within walking distance of the hotel, too.

I also highly recommend eating at a restaurant called La Parroquia, a 400-year old building directly across from the Cathedral.

You are going to LOVE Taxco!!!!

Follow Ups: