a spark of hope

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.154.130.16 (dsl-201-154-130-16.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día miércoles, 12 de octubre, 2005 a las 13:08:14 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Bad news for ecologists and tourists escrito por KR desde 200.64.32.37 (dup-200-64-32-37.prodigy.net.mx) el día miércoles, 12 de octubre, 2005 a las 11:28:50 horas :

I'm not sure if Eva is among the signatories, but several La Ropa businesses and residents recently sent a letter, I believe to several sources including Presidente Fox, essentially calling for assistance to halt the damage being done to what remains of Zihuatanejo's fragile and disappearing natural environment, which of course is the major attraction for our visitors (and we also like it a lot ourselves). The municipal government, besides giving away our hillsides and for all intents and purposes ignoring the bay's pollution problem, is currently insisting on building public restrooms in an environmentally sensitive area, using the argument that the money granted for this project will be withdrawn within two months if they don't spend it, and (once again) SEMARNAT (the people who are supposed to scrutinize environmental impact statements and approve or deny the development on which they are based, and the same people who approved Puerto Mio which OBVIOUSLY has caused severe deterioration of the marine and land environment, so we know how SEMARNAT officials make their money!) approved the project even though it would require clearing of some of the precious few remaining mangrove trees behind the estuary (small lagoon) at La Ropa and would obviously negatively impact the ecology. [I mean, some things you don't have to have a doctorate degree to understand.]

I hope their call for a type of moratorium is heeded, and that we can reverse this trend toward allowing corruption and ineptitude and apathy to cause the loss of Zihuatanejo's greatest attraction as well as the loss of our greatest source of local income. Who is going to want to come here in 10 or 15 years to visit a smelly, toxic bay and see denuded hills filled with private homes for the ultrarich, the corrupt, and the influential along with the homes of the impoverished (and there will be many more of them 15 years from now) lining the other side of the bay while the downtown area will be mostly girly bars and bankrupt businesses?

We are allowing corrupt and inept public officials to kill the hen that lays the golden egg. But we'll never solve anything waiting for other people to fix the problem for us. Maybe now we can actually form some concerned citizens' groups or ecological movements free from political alliances, because up to now that has been the kiss of death for the ones we have. It seems that the more hoteleros and turisteros that I speak to are taking a more active role in expressing their concerns about the current trend towards megaprojects and the destruction of the environment. Maybe it's had something to do with all the blasting they've had to listen to over the past few years from Intrawest, Puerto Mio, Cerro del Vigía and now the (second) new airport highway.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO