Re: Día de Muertos en Zihuatanejo (fotos)

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Scott desde 200.77.145.10 (host-200.77.145.10-cust.telemedia.net.mx) el día jueves, 03 de noviembre, 2005 a las 00:53:21 horas :

En respuesta a: Día de Muertos en Zihuatanejo (fotos) escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.154.125.84 (dsl-201-154-125-84.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día miércoles, 02 de noviembre, 2005 a las 23:29:03 horas :

Last night we went to the panteon in Tzurumutaro, got there around 11:30pm, then to the panteon in Tzintzuntzan, walked up to Las Yacatas (arqueological site over looking Lake Patzcuaro) and spent a little while up there, then went for tacos in Patzcuaro, then to the cemetary in Ihuatzio until 6:30am.

It was a very good night. In 2004 and 2002 I went to the island of Janitzio only, and I have to say that even though it seems to be ground zero for the event, there is no comparison to the small towns around the lake. I was really bewildered in 2001 when they took me to Tzurumutaro, on the day I went I had never heard of the Day of the Dead and had no idea was I was in for. So I thought it would be a good place to suggest for my room mate to go to for his first day of the dead.

He has about 8 months in Mexico now, and he was pleasantly surprised as well. It was much more elaborate than he had expected. For most people in Morelia, it is an excuse to go to the Patzcuaro area and party all night. He had seen something similar in Europe, where they apparently light a large candle in front of each grave site, and was expecting something like that. So as I said it was a little more elaborate than he had expected.

It was very chilly last night. I had a long sleve shirt, a t-shirt, a sweater, a scarf, and light gloves and I was still freezing most of the night. Wunderground.com doesn't show Patzcuaro, but it reports a low of 4C/39F for today in Morelia, and Patzcuaro is over 650 feet higher in elevation. I could see my breath in the air -- in Mexico!

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get my camera (Canon Powershot A75) to take nice pictures at night. My pictures anytime from dusk or during the night always turn out very bad, so I don't have much to show off.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO