Re: buying a car/van to keep in mexico

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Scott desde ( el día jueves, 03 de noviembre, 2005 a las 22:23:39 horas :

Another thing is, when you buy the vehicle, you need to get all of the bills of sale for each time the vehicle changed ownership. Even if buying used, you need to have the original bill of sale from when it was sold from the dealership. You also need the original receipts for each year that the car tax was paid for the vehicle. If you don't have the tax receipts, they will make you pay over again for each year that you can't prove it was paid for. So make sure you get all of them.

You don't need an FM3, but you will need a permanent address to register your vehicle. You need to bring 3 months worth of utility bills from your Mexican home to the vehicle registration office.

To leave a foreign vehicle in Mexico indefinitely, you need to have an FM3. Getting an FM3 is a real hassle if you aren't qualified as a pensioner or business person.

The above notes are based on my exerience buying & registering a motorcycle in Morelia, Michoacan. The requirements may be slightly different in Guerrero.

Follow Ups: