trip report -nov 5-12

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por dwight in wa desde 69.19.14.19 (b12webproxy05.direcpc.com) el día sábado, 12 de noviembre, 2005 a las 13:49:21 horas :

NOV 5-12

Saturday night a Welcome Back for Syd and LaRae of Bamfield, BC (they are 66’ers and own Casa Puesta de Sol). Wonderful shrimp fetticiene at Cecil’s & Karen’s at Our House, (a bed and breakfast that can accommodate handicapped vacationers if required).

Then Sunday evening at Ernesto’s ^ Barb’s, a Toronto couple recently back for the season. Supposed to be cocktails and snacks – if you can call lox and cheese on crackers and huge shrimp + more just “snacks”.

And Monday evening Manuel, Ernesto & Barb dropped in our place for a wonderful visit. They probably felt like elephants when they left as we were ill-prepared and only had peanuts for snacks!

And Tuesday afternoon, Otto brought two mariachis to our house to serenade my wife for an hour on her %^&& birthday. A real treat never to be forgotten and all four children called and got to listen on the cell phone! Then off to Las Palmas for a dream feast! Dorado for me, chicken chile relleno for Bev w/salad, Mexican chicken noodle soup, entre, butter pecan ice cream with kahlua and coffee and a bottle of wine. A wonderful evening at Playa Blanca’s finest! Ask me how much and get more info on the area at infoqbi@aol.com.

Simply have to slow down, this social life is just getting to us!

Oh, yes, 66’ers is a term I’ve coined for gringos who stay 6 months up North and 6 months down south or something like that (there are getting to be quite a few). Including the full time ex-pats and the 66’ers I believe there are a total of about 15 in La Barra/Playa Blanca.

The end is drawing near so if you drop in for a visit you can expect the dregs for refreshments. We leave everything leftover for the caretakers except alcohol (you never know who shouldn’t be tempted).

And IMHO the very best site for info on La Barra is barra-de-potosi.info. There is a great interactive map that shows all the lodging establishments and their website.

Friday shopping trip for the Admiral as her beach clothes were getting ragged (I thought it was rather trendsetting!) so she is now well outfitted for trip starting in January. Also, dinner at La Gula. Now this a don’t miss place! Just great and unique food prepared just so, so! Salads to die for – try the heart of palm or vegetables (tomato+eggplant+??) topped with goat cheese.

Last time for this trip with the tamale vendor and the vegetable/fruit vendor. Oh, migosh, 3 more days and I have to wear shoes again!

I will try to make one more trip report, a short one, after we get home and post some pic’s.

We have had the place, Bungalows Solecito, to ourselves since Oct 1 and now another couple have arrived. Place doesn’t officially open until Dec 1 so we have been the “friends” that came in early and helped work out the bugs. This place is ideal for couples who want a long term rental although they do rent by the day also. We highly suggest this place if you are looking for a month or more. We took 6 weeks this fall and return for 10 weeks in Jan. Thinking about 5 or 6 months straight next Oct/Nov to middle of March.

Special Note: Veterans Day this week. My father was KIA in WWII near Altena, Germany, in April 1945. There is not a day goes by that I do not think of him. Thanks, Dad.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO