Hwy 200 Manzanillo, Colima to Zihua is Not Bad

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por El Atun Grande desde 148.235.160.142 (customer-148-235-160-142.uninet-ide.com.mx) el día domingo, 04 de diciembre, 2005 a las 12:03:21 horas :

En respuesta a: road conditions escrito por Linda from Canada desde 201.135.98.150 (dsl-201-135-98-150.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día domingo, 04 de diciembre, 2005 a las 10:39:48 horas :

I make the trip between Zihua and Colima a couple of times a month. I drove it day before yesterday and will be going back North again on Tuesday up to Colima. You will have no problem driving it. Just let me know what day and time you are doing it so I can avoid getting caught behind you. Just kidding.

The section between Tecoman and Playa Azul has more curves than any similar stretch I have driven in Mexico (as well as climbing and descending to about 900ft a couple of times, some spectacular views, but a bear to drive), but they are resurfacing the worst 40km stretch from KM 155 to KM 110. It should be done this week. They are doing a great job on it, and it is some of the smoothest asphalt of any road I have driven in Mexico. Glad they did it because the heavy trucks that run up and back from Lazaro to Manzanillo had really torn it up. They are also starting on a section just before you get to Play Azul. A lot of gravel on the road right now (how the Mexicans start the resurface projects). So watch out for rocks cracking your windshield.

Most of the traffic I have encountered on the road is actually large trucks bringing in asphalt and gravel for the resurfacing projects. Trip from Colima (in a car) takes me just around 5:15 to 5:45 depending on if I stop at La Perla restaurant in Pichilinguillo (km 95) to eat one of their fantastic lunches. Their fish is as fresh as you can get and portions are large. Meal including hand made tortillas are around 6.00usd. Stop and have a nice leisurely meal there. It is almost exactly half way between Manzanillo and Zihua. Give yourself a treat and stop there for a rest break.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO