Re: Mexican Pottery--lead-free glazes?

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por frostbite desde 24.237.10.94 (94-10-237-24.gci.net) el día miércoles, 28 de diciembre, 2005 a las 11:34:31 horas :

En respuesta a: Mexican Pottery--lead-free glazes? escrito por La Linda desde 69.181.200.221 (c-69-181-200-221.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) el día miércoles, 28 de diciembre, 2005 a las 00:35:08 horas :

Lead is added to glazes so that they will melt at lower temperatures - simple economics. All the low-fired ware, i.e. terracotta with the clear or green glaze, whether decorated or not, is more than likely lead glazed. The Talavera ware looks to me as being made with more sophisticated means and appears to have been fired at higher temperatures than the terracotta ware, but I don't have any specific information in this regard. Rene at Mexhapati might know more about this. Acidic foods such as citrus fruits/juices, tomatoes, pickles, etc. will leach lead out of a glaze containing this metal. As a potter I am well aware of the hazards of lead in glazes and don't use any in my work nor do others in the States making functional ware. That being said, I love eating at Tamales y Atoles "Any", where the food is served on the traditional, lead glazed, terracotta dishes and I don't loose any sleep over it. Years ago, I knew a family in San Francisco who cooked in and ate from Mexican terracotta ware exclusively. They were all "half a bubble off", but I'm pretty sure that condition predated their discovery of Mexico. Your pharmacy should have lead testing swabs if you're really anxious about this.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO