Fandango

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.154.127.157 (dsl-201-154-127-157.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día lunes, 30 de enero, 2006 a las 19:18:28 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: Did you know??? escrito por Skink desde 24.71.190.21 (?) el día lunes, 30 de enero, 2006 a las 18:41:01 horas :

Yes, such a boat did sink here. We all watched about 15 or 16 years ago as the Fandango got lower in the water day by day, finally going under one afternoon completely when the pumps couldn't keep up anymore with all the leaks. I don't think there's much left on the bottom after all the storms over the years, but for quite some time afterwards her flotsam would wash up on the beach.

I also saw John Wayne on the converted minesweeper about 32 years ago when it was anchored in Zihuatanejo Bay for a couple of weeks, but I don't think it was the same ship as this one. I got the impression that his was a steel-hulled vessel, and I remember it was painted white at the time. The Fandango was a wooden-hulled vessel painted 2-tones of blue.

I may not remember correctly, but those are my impressions.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO