Short trip report 3-12...3-19

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por parsavr desde 65.31.156.36 (CPE-65-31-156-36.wi.res.rr.com) el día jueves, 23 de marzo, 2006 a las 22:04:09 horas :

Our 8th visit to Zihuatanjeo went perfectly, as usual. Direct flight from Milwaukee w/Funjet (air only package) was on time both coming and going. As in the past we split our 7 days between Zihua and La Barra de Potosi. For our Zihua time we again stayed as Casa Sun & Moon…nice pool, good view and convenient to both Zihua centro and Playa La Ropa. Zihua included our usual visits to MJ & Ritchie’s for breakfasts, La Sirena Gorda, Tata’s, Casa Viejo, Paty’s Mar y Mar, special dinners at Puerta del Sol and new this year, Il Mare. I highly recommend Il Mare, along with the others listed.

We spent one day at Playa Las Gatas, which we haven’t done for two years, and Otillia’s was as enjoyable as ever.

On Thursday we moved out to La Barra de Potosi into a beach front bungalow owned by my friend Luis Munoz, of La Sirena Gorda. He’s in the process of building a resort on the beach and has two bungalows completed along with a pool and kitchen/cabana. Several more bungalows are contemplated. He is very talented and his new project reflects it. We stayed at his earlier development, Los Chones, in La Barra before he sold it to Betsy Johnson and it became Betsyville. Our time at the beach is so peaceful and relaxing I always question why we don’t spend the whole week there and I think next year we will and just go into Zihua for a few day trips.

Days on the beach include: long walks, shelling, bird watching, reading, cross-words, enjoying uninterrupted time with each other, working on the tan, swimming, talking with the few other people we meet and eating the fresh sea-food available at the enramadas the lagoon is known for. Brisamar enramada was about 4 miles north of us in the middle of the 9 mile beach crescent and was good too. One evening we walked into La Barra and had dinner at Dona Eni’s, across from Laura’s place. Hand made tortillas and cooked on a wood fire. 6 chicken enchiladas and 2 sodas…44 pesos!

Highlight of the stay was seeing the whales reported to be frequenting the area. Didn’t need binoculars to see them, they were swimming right along the surf line and I saw then during my morning coffee on the cabana veranda.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO