Trip Report

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por StuckInWis desde 75.7.255.251 (adsl-75-7-255-251.dsl.applwi.sbcglobal.net) el día jueves, 06 de abril, 2006 a las 11:33:01 horas :

Just got back from a week in Ixtapa and three days in Zihuatanejo (3/25-4/4). Stayed a Pacifica resort in Ixtapa which has become all-inclusive. Although we are members there, we were forced to participate in the all-inclusive plan because we did an exchange to get into the resort rather than use our week, but that is a different story altogether. We paid about $120.00 per day for the two of us, which according to many, is not that bad. This included three meals a day at the beach club, one meal at El Faro, and most mixed drinks and beer. The food at the beach club was good, but stayed pretty much the same all week. While they do a different themem each evening for dinner, many of the same foods were still part of it. I am not saying that it was the same food kept out all day, just that there was little change in the menu, but very good. The night we chose to dine at El Faro was wonderful. El Faro is the cliff side restaurant which sits on the grounds of Pacifica resort. This restaurant is open to anyone, but I do recommend making a reservation. He food and service was wonderful and you cannot beat the view. It is difficult to see the sunset from El Faro as it sets behind some existing resort units, but the view of Ixtapa is rerally nice. As with most all-inclusive resorts, the drinks are pretty watered down. We were one of the few that tipped the waiter which helped. This resort is very family friendly with many activitites for kids and adults. If you are looking for peace and quiet however, I would not recommend it. Also, because this reort is built on a bluff, it is not very handicap friendly. While there is a gondola that wil take you from the beach to the units, there are still many steps to maneuver. Also, the gondola is closed on Saturdays for maintenance which forces you to either use the stairs (about 240 from the beach to the main level) or you can request a truck to come down and drive you up. This service is free but you may have to wait ten to fifteen minutes for it to arrive. There is some construction going on as they are adding to the beach club kitchen and renovating some units. Where we stayed, the noise was not a problem. I assume the noise would have been annoying to others staying in close proximity. We did meet some wonderful people staying there and all in all had a great time. The last three days were spent at Puerto Mio in Zihuatanejo. This hotel is very is locateds at the top of the hill over the main pier and sits on the backside ot the bluff so it is not visible from the town. If you are looking for peace and quiet, this one has it. Only around 25 rooms, some with an arched window and window seat, some with a balcony, and others include private jacuzzi's. There is one pool on the grounds. There are times when alll of the chairs and umbrellas will be taken as they do not have enough to accommodate all of the guests at the same time, but we were be to get on with no trouble. We stayed here on a timeshare rental and gto a great deal, bit I believe this hotel otherwise rents at around $200 a night. The staff and accommodations are wonderful and it is very relaxing. Some of the restaurants we ate at that stand out are Tamales Y Any, where I had a great chicken mole tamale. I cannot find a good tamale in Wisconsin, so this is always a favorite stop of ours. At Casa Elvira we each had the lobster and beef skewer which was very good. We also tried Casa Vieja for the first time. To college students from the states turned us onto this one, go figure. The food and cuisine were wonderful. Another favorite of ours is Puesta Del Sol. This restaurant sits right on the road just past Kau Kan. We discovered this one about three years ago and has become one of our favorites. Great food and view of the bay and very reasonable. My wife and I both had shrimp dishes, hers being flamb'ed at the table for around $14 each. While there are ceiling fans, it always seems to be a little warm in there so dress cool. This place is well worth your time. Also spent one night at Rick's bar enjoying some fine, live guitar music. This is a local establishment freuqented by many gringos and is a good time. I do believe that this place may be closing up soon due to the low season, so keep that in mind. But we had a wonderful time enjoying ten boring days of nothing but blue skies, temps around 90, and very friendly people both American and Mexican. The only problem I can remember is that it had to end.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO