Trip Report 3/22-29

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Mary desde 148.78.243.121 (cf1.c005.g4.mrt.starband.net) el día sábado, 08 de abril, 2006 a las 09:31:01 horas :

This was our first visit to Zihua and we loved it! We stayed at Villa Mexicana & loved being right on the beach. Our room was ground level by the pool, when we checked in we were told we might be able to be moved on day 3 of our visit but we didn't feel like packing back up again. They have plenty of lounge chairs, all with a great view.

A friend had given us the name of an independent tour guide who was great. If you want a personal driver to give you a tour of the area, or to go fishing with a local, give Fernando Sotelo a call. He is a Zihua native, speaks English, & is a nice guy. Cell phone 044(755)100 60 06. We spent 2 days with him. One day to go towards Ixtapa and the other to go down to Petatlan & La Barra de Potosi. Visiting the clay brick tile factory was a special treat & we each got to make a roof tile. The Ixtapa day we ate lunch at Los Potrillos that was in the countryside. I think only a local could get you there.

We took the Picante Sail & Snorkel to Playa Manzanillo which was a great trip. The crew was helpful and obviously loving their jobs. There was plenty of food and drink and the ride on the spinnaker was a blast. Well worth the $68 US per person! Tip: If you are not getting picked up at your hotel but getting yourself to the dock, they are not at the main city dock. Sorry, I don't know the name but it's the other one.

We did visit Las Gatas. Not our cup of tea. Rows of lounge chairs, pretty much right on top of each other. We tried to snorkel but the water is too shallow for too long of a distance from the shore. We didn't get to Ixtapa Island and really wish that had been our choice that day.

We did buy a cooler. On La Ropa if you walk all the way down to the far end of the beach, right before it curves over towards Las Gatas there is a road and the first little store on that street sells coolers. Beverage and ice can be bought at several of the little shops you can find in the streets/alleys leading away from the beach.

Our first night we ate at Casa Kau-Kan and loved it. The crab & olive torte appetizer could be an entree for a light eater. The stuffed potatoe is nothing like what we have here in the US. There was a small baked potatoe on the plate along with a lobster tail and pile of shrimp. Staff/service was wonderful. We ate a little early (6) & had the best table in the place to watch the sunset.

The Thursday night festival at Tamales y Atoles Any was great fun. I suggest reservations. We did not have one but again showed up early enough that we got in but we saw others turned away.

Another message mentioned the Mango Daiquiri at Patty's so I gave it a try = it's a must have.

If you have a craving for Italian food, check out Paccolos on Bravo. My husband had lasagna that could stand up against any he's ever had. My stomach was a little iffy that day (the only day & it was short lived) so I had buttered pasta w/cheese. It was great. I don't think the cheese was parmesan, I don't know what kind it was, but it was very tasty.

We had a week and wished we would have had 2. We will be back.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO