Overdue, overlength trip report Day 2

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Ket desde 12.175.230.38 (?) el día martes, 09 de mayo, 2006 a las 11:04:34 horas :

The 2nd DAY – 22 April 2006

I awoke around 7:00 to the sound of a bird who was obviously seriously annoyed at someone or something, this was a type of bird we definitely do not have in Wyoming. Sticking to the “there is no such thing as a hangover in Mexico” rule, I sprang from the sack and tried to recall how and why I was in this strange bed, why I was sweating profusely, and why my mouth was drier than a Moroccan desert. After quickly doffing two bottles of purified aqua, and a severe and thorough brushing of the teeth to remove the fur embedded there, I decided to wander outside for a breath of salty ocean air to clear the senses and have a look around.

I briefly pondered saving a couple of lounge chairs on the beach, then remembered where I was at, and recalled that that kind of nonsense is not necessary here. There were a couple of cats staring me down for stumbling right into the middle of their stalk of the screaming bird, and a couple of dogs were making their way to the beach for the days run and courting rituals. As my gaze transitioned out into the beautiful bay I was shocked to see a HUMONGUOUS object appearing out of the mist. It was a massive cruise ship and the sheer magnitude of this things size as she was revealing herself in the sunrise was quite a shock to this high plains dry lander.

After everyone else awoke, we wandered on over to the Dona Prudencia for Breakfast. There we enjoyed good French toast, huevos rancheros, bacon, and a fruit plate. The breakfast was good, but not outstanding and the service was quite good. Our friends from the Catalina rolled out and came down to see if we were out and about and joined us for coffee, and discussed plans for the day. As we were talking, we noticed a pretty strong reek coming from the beach area. As we talked we chucked our shoes and walked on down to the beach where the smell was almost unbearable. I was thinking “Good Lord, they weren’t kidding when they said there was some sewer dumping going on.” The water also had a gross yellowish brown pall which only heightened my suspicions of the dumping problem. Under no circumstances was I going to get in that water. Apparently it is an acquired taste as we noticed many people frolicking in the water as though it were a clear mountain stream.

After lounging about for a bit, we decided to head down to the pier and catch a water taxi to Playa Los Gatas and go to Amados to see my old friend, have some drinks and lunch and arrange a fishing trip. The first things we noticed as we get near the downtown area were the throngs of people. We booked the week after Easter in hope of avoiding the Semana Santa rush. It was only the first weekend after Easter so perhaps everyone was still on a week long break, or perhaps they were just out enjoying the weekend. But as we got nearer to the pier, the activity increased. When the taxi stopped and we were preparing to disembark, we noticed that the crowd had actually become much denser. As I paid the driver I asked in my best broken Spanish what was going on, and he replied “Grande barco aqui’. Ah..yes the cruise ship is in town…it was then that I noticed most of the crowd were not local folks. The driver then told me it was a bad day for shopping as prices go up by 50% when the cruise ships are in town.

We bought our tickets and made our way through the throng gathered on the pier and found our place in line for the water taxi. This proved quite a spectacle as the boats that run people back and forth for the cruise ship were crowding the pier and the cruisers were desperately vying for position to either get on or off the boats, of which there were plenty. When we boarded the taxi and were underway, the foul odor from the water was too powerful not to notice, and I observed the boat’s wake to be a nasty foamy concoction of a piss-yellow, brownish hue all the way until just off of Playa Las Gatas. There were many people, mostly locals, enjoying the beach there that day, but as we made our way west, the crowd thinned out considerably, and when we arrived at Amado’s there were only six or seven other groups enjoying themselves there.

I introduced my self to David, the waiter, ordered a pail of Coronas and brought out the pictures of Amado and me and the large Marlin I cought with him in 04. David was very happy to see the pics and took me up to the table where Amados wife and some other ladies were sitting. When she saw the pics, she grinned and said that she remembered me and that day. My Spanish was not good enough to follow her, but David translated that Amado would be glad to see me, and he would be back soon. We all had some laughs as the ladies were entertained by my attempts to converse with them in Spanish.

While waiting, we enjoyed a delicious lunch of shrimp tacos, cheese quesadillas and chips with guacamole and pico de guio. I’m telling you the shrimp tacos were easily the best I’ve ever had, and the others were quite pleased and stuffed as well. The bill for 12 beers and lunch for four came to just over 300 pesos which I considered one of the better bargains of the trip. Amado has some other young men working for him who I found out were trying to learn English. David, myself and the other boys spent a fun hour tutoring each other in our native languages, and I was teasing the young boys about their girlfriends and all the young beauties they get to look at every day on the beach. They countered with my luck at getting to look at all the beautiful blonde, brunette and red-headed American women all the time. This was all in good fun, and good taste, and of course honey, you know I only have eyes for you. During this exchange we watched the cruise ship pull anchor and scoot out of the bay. I asked David about the gross water and he said that when the cruise ships are in the bay, there is very little clearance between the bottom of the boat and the bay floor. The big ships have bow and stern thrusters which keep the ship oriented in a certain direction and aid in turning in tight quarters. These thrusters are constantly running as the ship holds a position, and this action stirs and churns the muck, sediment, and other nice stuff from the bottom and brings it to the top for all to enjoy. When the ship engages the big props to head out, that’s when the really good stuff is revealed.

Amado returned in the Burbuja at about 4:30 and off-loaded several tuna which were his catch that day. We hugged, exchanged greetings and I scheduled the trip for the following Tuesday. He was happy to see the pictures I brought and he told me about some excitement he had been through recently. He had won the jack-pot at the sail-fishing tourney in Oaxaca, and set a Mexican record at the same time. He won 5K, a new Yamaha outboard and a car. I would have liked to spend the rest of the night there, but it was time to catch the taxi back to the Pier.
We sailed the brown sea of reek, caught a taxi back to the hotel, and showered for supper. We walked down the beach to La Perla and enjoyed a great meal of grilled shrimp, pasta and beers. The ticket was like 480 for the four of us. I was glad to see that the Prices here had maintained their great value. After dinner, we enjoyed a famous Zihua sunset, and walked back to the Villa Mexicana in the dusk, enjoying a peaceful tranquility that only comes from total and complete relaxation. It was sooooo good to be here.

Up next, Troncones and a private villa.

Oh yeah, Sweet Creature (Wife) says I'm going to have to shorten it up as people don't want to read a book here, and I'm wasting web resources...So I'll try to be a litte briefer in the following posts...

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO