Road Updates

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por mexhapati artesan ceramica desde 201.121.248.188 (dsl-201-121-248-188.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día miércoles, 07 de junio, 2006 a las 15:50:51 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: driving from Zihua to San miguel de allende.. escrito por Scott desde 218.214.77.113 (218-214-77-113.people.net.au) el día sábado, 03 de junio, 2006 a las 20:35:30 horas :

Travelling through the Bajío Region can be slow and frustrating. The routes are ancient and most of the roads take you through the downtown part of many cities.

The main trouble spots between Morelia and San Miguel de Allende were (are) as follows:

Cuitzeo. It is a quaint, historic little town, about half an hour north of Morelia, unfortunately the main highway's only route for many years (centuries?) was over the lagoon (Laguna de Cuitzeo) at the only bridge and then right through the center of town. I found it rather picturesque all of the houses painted the same dark red color, small-town activity around a massive main church. The alternate route over the lagoon and then over the "libramiento" is now operational and saves 20 minutes or more.

Comonfort, between Celaya and San Miguel de Allende, is famous for its avocadoes and had the same problem: only one one-lane bridge over the river Lerma at Empalme Escobedo then right through the center of downtown Comonfort which has always been a stop (and bottleneck) for artesanias shoppers.

The bypass is operating at Comonfort and will soon include the new bridge at Empalme Escobedo will save upwards of 20 minutes.

In the case of getting through Celaya without getting lost, the signage on the new by pass is not (surprise!) quite adequate, to tell the truth I do the same as Scott and just go right through the middle of town, it is actually the most direct route and depending on the time of day, the fastest, IMHO. When coming up from the south to Celaya just keep going straight turning neither left nor right, you'll go past the main square and once on the north side the signs will direct you to the road to San Miguel de Allende!

My last trip we did it only 6 hours - happy motoring!

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO