Less Than Pure

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Ernie Gorrie desde 24.87.252.230 (?) el día lunes, 21 de marzo, 2005 a las 14:15:30 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: We Change Things escrito por DaveInBothellWa desde 199.73.1.1 (?) el día lunes, 21 de marzo, 2005 a las 11:13:32 horas :

I don't think I said anything about gringos bringing those things to Zihuatanejo. In fact, my posting specifically included non-gringo influences, such as Chilangos and Tapatios.

I simply commented in response to the OP's question, "what happened".

Some people distinguish between "tourists" and "visitors".

Using that differentiation, visitors go to a place, experience it for what it is, have minimal impact, and leave. Tourists go to a place, expect/seek out/demand what is not indigenously common, change the place and leave.

Even if the changes are well-intentioned, they are changes from outside and that makes a place different. If you thought it was paradise before, you may not think it is paradise after.

I anticipate the pace of change in Zihuatanejo will increase, not so much due to gringo influences, as due to Mexican influences.

Zihuatanejo used to be an awkward locat1on for internal tourism. Capitalanos had a long drive from DF to Acapulco then hours of drive up to Zihuatanejo. The opening of the autopista greatly increased the accessibility of Acapulco, but Zihuatanejo was still several more hours drive away.

Folks from Guadalajara or Morelia could drop down the cuota to Manzanillo, but then faced several hours along Ruta 200 to get to Zihuatanejo.

Hence Manzanillo and Acapulco received much more internal tourism. The new cuota from Morelia to Lazaro Cardenas, and soon Ixtapa, is changing that dramatically. What used to be an eight hour drive from Morelia is now three to four hours.

I anticipate that there will be a greater increase in internal tourism to Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa than the increase in international tourism.

My wish is that Fonatur would emphasize the development of "tourism" in Ixtapa and "visitorism" in Zihuatanejo and outlying areas. But I doubt that will occur.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO