out 'n' about

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Scott desde 66.131.26.20 (modemcable020.26-131-66.mc.videotron.ca) el día lunes, 31 de julio, 2006 a las 00:57:41 horas :

En respuesta a: Nice photos! escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.154.128.212 (dsl-201-154-128-212.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día viernes, 28 de julio, 2006 a las 20:12:38 horas :

Hola!

I gave up my house in Morelia in April. On April 14th my then room mate moved to Portland from Morelia. We had lived together for two six month periods with 5 months in the middle seperating them. The girls are both from Morelia and they are best friends. The one with the long hair on the left is with me =) The other is with my friend.

She had a very rude introduction to my country from immigration. For the USA visa situation all we did was go together to a visa tour company in Morelia, and they just gave it to at her appointment about 6 weeks later. The whole process for both of the girls went very smoothly, with no problems.

I almost wish the visa situation in Canada was the same as for the USA. Crossing into the USA with her is a pleasure, whereas getting her into Canada was a nightmare. The immigration official got angry at me and accused me of anticipating his questions. It was like having the entire visa interview right there at the border.

She has had a very good, well-rounded introduction to life North-of-the-Border. She has been to Spain before, though, so it isn't her first time in the first world.

Yesterday we drove across Maine, stopped to swim in a very active tourist town on Lake Sebago to have a swim, drove across the Kancamagus Pass in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and hiked for 30 minutes along a river in the national forest, and cruised around in the middle of nowhere, in Vermont, crossing at a very remote Quebec border point hoping not to have to deal with one of the arrogant officials I had to deal with the first time in Sarnia (with an average 14,000 vehicles/day going across that bridge). They were very pleasant in this remote Quebec crossing.

She doesn't speak very much English yet. She is learning though. She took two years of business english at a Morelia language school, but that was 4 or 5 years ago. My family is great with her though, and when we get back to Canada I will also have my aunt there to help us out. She and my little cousins were on summer vacation in Morelia during our first two weeks in Canada, but they arrived home when we were in the USA. Her introduction to the USA was driving across Buffalo, so hopefully she realizes that life in the USA isn't all glitz and glamour for everyone. In her 1st week in the USA she saw the best, well-rounded introduction to America that I could give her. From martinis on the 54th floor of the Prudential building and dinner and drinks at two nice Italian restaurants in Boston, to taking the ferry around the network of islands off of Portland where people on their front porch greet you from 25 feet away as you walk past and the kids are outside on the street trying to get attention with their vinegar and baking soda mixtures, a night out at a very awesome restaurant in Portland, to seeing all the people out on their boats, jetskis, floating restaurants and you name it on the lake, and small town New Hampshire & Vermont. One of the very first things she saw was the drive through at Wendy's in Port Huron, Michigan, where we placed our order, paid, and had our meal ready to go from the comfort of our own car within 45 seconds or so. I was in utter shock and awe at the efficiency, but my mother thinks I've been living in Mexico for too long.

We checked in to a hotel on the outskirts of Montreal at about 12:00am last night, and spent the day touring on foot all around downtown and old Montreal. Right now we are at a hotel downtown.

I am not sure what is going to happen from here. We will be going to Morelia for a wedding in November, but anything could happen between now and then. I just realized today that I don't even know my own country. I sometimes feel like a foreigner in my own land these days, and especially over here in Quebec. I haven't been here since I was a teenager and it is quite different to experience it as an adult. It's hard to believe I'm in Canada.

Sorry for the very long winded post!!!

Scott

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO