Indignation at Airport Monopoly

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.127.103.117 (dsl-201-127-103-117.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día miércoles, 06 de septiembre, 2006 a las 23:50:49 horas :

A long-time local resident and reader of my website sent me the following letter with the request that their name be kept anonymous. However, I am happy to publish this letter under my own name in the hope that my readers will write letters expressing their indignation as well as that they will boycott the offending airport restaurant attempting to monopolize the airport's food service.

----------------
To the people with power:

I'm writing this because I am so indignant about the way a Spanish company, Aerocomidas, is forcing all the food services out of the airport to establish their own monopoly on food and drink service. They will be able to charge $100 pesos for a coke if they want to, when they're the only game in town!!!

All soft drink machines are gone. No one is permitted to sell any food or beverage, only the candy stands can continue to sell any edible product.

I'm upset about this because the last holdout, the only food locale left is "El Mirador" operated by María del Carmen and Jesús Gonzalez, who also own the downtown Zihuatanejo mini-super El Cacahuate. Some of you may know them and respect and like them just as I do.

She and her husband have had the snack bar at the airport for 17 years. Six years ago, when the remodeling took place, they were forced to move the snack bar to a different locat1on within the airport and put it in the name of a new owner to eliminate the 11 years of longevity of occupation. They have been under an order to vacate and leave the premises for five years, they filed a lawsuit and the case has been dragging on and who knows when it might be resolved. They have the option to keep the locale and use it for something else.

The only restaurant present in the airport is the big one in the center, with the little fencing around their tables. This fence successfully cancelled the previous arrangement where the tables were used by anyone buying any food from any food service, now it is ONLY for the Spaniards' restaurant. They also own the bar next to the restaurant and the bar inside the waiting room by the gates. They've got it all.

The latest move by the administrator of the airport, is to place large flower pots in the walkways, eliminating access to the one little snack bar left. I'm attaching some photos.

plants blocking access to restaurant El Mirador

Plants blocking access to last locally owned restaurant, El Mirador, at the Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa Aeropuerto Internacional

As a U.S. citizen, I want to help the little guy, the one the big monopoly is trying to destroy. I’m writing this with the hope that you will do whatever you can to help Maria del Carmen and Jesus Gonzalez defend themselves and save their snackbar where I could still buy a coke for $12 pesos several weeks ago.

The name and address of the administrator of the airport is:

Lic. Jorge Morales Gómez Tagle
Administrador del Aeropuerto
Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa Aeropuerto Internacional
Zihuatanejo, Gro. CP40880
México

The Secretary of Tourism of the State is Ernesto Rodríguez Espinoza
ere@guerrero.gob.mx - e-mail for Ernesto Rodríguez Escalona, Secretaría de Fomento Turístico por el Estado de Guerrero

Please boycott the large airport restaurant and express your feelings to the above "responsible authorities".

Thank you for helping us to help each other, including our visitors and our neighbors.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO