Translation - Page 2

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Scott desde 70.29.127.217 (CPE000f66bfa3d7-CM0012c9a03028.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) el día domingo, 10 de septiembre, 2006 a las 16:49:54 horas :

En respuesta a: My fairy godmother granted me this... escrito por Laura desde 69.19.14.21 (b12webproxy07.direcpc.com) el día domingo, 10 de septiembre, 2006 a las 12:30:25 horas :

PETATLAN, Guerrero - Laura Kelly assures that if Gabriel Garcia Márquez knew the community of Barra de Potosi he would discover that the story told in A Hundred Years of Solitude is true. "We are few habitants, it is a beautiful village full of legend, we have a lagoon and view of the sea, in the rain season it can go two days with stopping, and the Buendia family here are the Verbonen, which there are dozens of in Guerrero.

Barra de Potosi is situated between a small lagoon and the Pacific Ocean. The habitants say this place was a favorite spot for the arrival of pirates during the colonial times. There is even, they assure, a tressure hidden in a cave in the Guamilule hill, that can only be extracted by an honest person with a good heart.

When the earthquake happened in 1985, the community was inhabited by seven families of fishermen who came from the Costa Grande. According to the census of 2000, there were 500 habitants, the majority of them dedicating to fishing and tourism within the same village. Every day, between 7 and 8 am, along the bay you can see the men who push their boats to the sea to throw their nets in the nearby areas. Before lunchtime they return with their boats will with a grand variety of species, huachinangos, red snappers, sea bass, and more. In the town, the majority of homes are one floor with roofs made of tiles. "It seems like a poor community, but they have come out ahead with the fruits of their own labour" assures Kelly, one of the foreigners who live in Barra de Potosi.

In the town there is a kindergarten, primary school with three teachers, and a tele-intermediate school with two teachers. Most of the older people do not know how to read or write, never-the-less the almost 130 children born who were born in this place have found in Kelly extra help to compliment their studies, and even to learn other languages. Six-year-old Shirley arrives at Laura's house saluting her with "How are you?", "Fine thank-you" responds the American, "Oh, that's great" finishes the girl, who invites a pair of children to play, speaking in Spanish. "An isolated place changes a lot with the arrival of tourism, it has an economic and cultural impact. However, the exchange for me has two partes: I teach English to them and some of them teach Náhuatl to me", she agrees.

Laura Kelly studied sociology and political science at the University of California. "I am not a teacher nor do I have a vocation, but the art of the children delights me", reason for which, in 1998, she founded, with thehelp of the community, the civil association Niños Encantados of Barra de Potosi, established to give "health, education and economic stability to the families" of the village. She solicited the help of the higher class people from nearby populations to "benefit the children and give them the opportunity of a dignified future." The first project of the association was a library where they could have workshops, with the possibility of extending it in the future to include a classroom. At present, building the library is a work in progress, but they haven't been able to fullfill the original plan.

The association has received one-million-one-hundred-thousand pesos in contributions in cash and in kind. With that they bought the land and began the construction. They have received computers, toys, clothes and nearly two thousand books for the children and adults. Editorial Larousse has promised to provide an annual contribution of books for the three schools and an English class for the teachers, with which they hope every school will have their library. With the help of some forums on the Internet, Laura Kelly was able to call the attention of the foreign community to collect supplies and presents. On the night of January 5th each year they organize a Dia de Reyes event where each child of Barra de Potosi receives a small gift. "My strength has never been to save money. When I have any, I buy the books that I can, I buy them crayons, pencil crayons and paper, because I am also interested in the development of the children's imagination."

Her home has been adapted as a guest-house, which receives the name "Casa del encanto". Perhaps for it's smell of coffee, perhaps for it's decoration with vibrant colors, string of stories, various small fountains in the garden, or for its phicus plants, coconut palms, range, papaya, mango, lime, almonds, nuts from India, bugambilia, cups of fine gold, roses, jasmine, tulips, between other things, or because during the day the children come and go through the doors which are always open. Five year old Eliseo, whose friends call Cheo, arrives at the call of Laura to recite the rules of the house: "No fighting, no saying naughty words, share, respect, and clean-up after yourself when you are finished." The street and the community belong to them. That is how Ernesto appropriates it, who sings with all his breath the popular songs while he goes to the store on an errand. With his seven years he believes he is Pedro Infante, although he sings in the pure style of Pedro Fernandez, in The Girl with the Blue Backpack.

In the nights of rain, Barra transforms. The crash of the waves in the bay can be heard at a distance of various metres. The singing of the frogs is very particular, as with that of the "salamanwhiners", which habitat in all parts and emit sounds that seem like thundering kisses. Located behind the Guamilule Hill there is a turtle sanctuary. The lagoon, assure the habitants, is one of the magic places in which ducks, herons, caimans, little birds that walk in the sand (?), and white pelicans which arrives annually from Canada. However, for Laura Kelly there is no doubt, "the enchantment is the children of Barra de Potosi".

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO