Good News for Eco-Tourists

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.98.216.253 (dsl-201-98-216-253.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día lunes, 11 de septiembre, 2006 a las 15:01:45 horas :

Talk has been going on for a while regarding governmental support for a couple of interesting places to visit in the nearby sierra of our municipio. One is called La Perica, and the other is called La Mesa de Bravo.

I've mentioned La Perica here before. What has up to now been mostly a collection of unstudied archaeological artifacts in a private home and some petrographs around the Río Ixtapa at that point, albeit open to the public, will now become a formal museum. Hopefully, it will also fall under the care and responsibility of the Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia. It is tentatively scheduled to begin receiving visitors in about 5 months.

La Mesa de Bravo is a place further up the sierra where there are natural pools of clear mountain water near some cascades, chutes and rapids, one called El Espinazo del Diablo that is supposedly only for those seeking serious adrenaline rushes. Hmmmm...

These places aren't listed on most maps, but I'll be sure to update my own maps (and maybe even the Google Earth Fly-By Tour) soon. They're located on the Carretera Nacional 134 on the way to Vallecitos. La Perica is just past Las Pepinas (about 15 minutes uphill past the turnoff from the coastal highway), and La Mesa de Bravo is about another 45 minutes past that.

Any local tour guide should be able to take you there now, but the facilities are still a bit rustic. Wear good walking shoes and old pants or shorts! And remember it generally rains earlier in the day the higher you go in the sierra; so if you want to see both, see La Mesa de Bravo first and catch La Perica on the way back. ;~)

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO