Green GO!

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 200.65.171.102 (dup-200-65-171-102.prodigy.net.mx) el día viernes, 30 de julio, 2004 a las 13:24:05 horas :

En respuesta a: "Gringo" revisited escrito por Minnesota Mike desde 66.228.236.219 (ff-xdsl-219.prtel.com) el día viernes, 30 de julio, 2004 a las 09:45:56 horas :

Sounds like something a Wisconsin football fan would yell.

I just wanted to comment that I published a lengthy paper in college in '81 on the origin of this word. SNOPES' version sounds like they are right on to me. Heck, maybe someone there even read my paper!

Gotta admit that I'd never heard the "green grow the lilacs" story, but a similar version here in Mexico is that it comes from "green GO" (¡váyase verde!) owing to the color of the uniforms that U.S soldiers wore when they invaded Mexico. Problem with that story is that U.S. troops wore only blue uniforms during their first invasion in 1846. It wasn't until Pershing's "punitive" invasion in 1916 that they entered Mexico wearing brownish-green uniforms. And the word has been in use in Mexico for much longer than that.

If I recall my research correctly, during the height of the pre-Roman Greek culture, Greek merchants trading with the inhabitants of the Iberian peninsula were responsible for the word "griego" becoming associated with the idea of "foreigner". I believe it was revived from relative obscurity by the Spaniards to refer to their anglo neighbors when the anglos began arriving in what was then Nueva España, now the western U.S.

Some locals don't much care for my long, confusing, ancient history version, though. ;~)

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO