We Feared the Worst, but Loved La Casa Que Canta!

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Rooney desde 64.174.208.151 (adsl-64-174-208-151.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net) el día martes, 07 de septiembre, 2004 a las 18:51:13 horas :

My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at La Casa Que Canta. Having paid close attention to this board prior to my departure (but not prior to making my reservations, as I made them long ago), I was quite nervous about our staying at the hotel. After all, it seemed that everyone thought that the folks at La Casa hated Americans, and wanted nothing to do with them. I was prepared for the worst. After having spent 4 glorious days there, I can only say that I feel like I may have stayed at a different hotel than the one that some of the other posters visited for dinner. Which brings me to my point: I think the reason some of the restaurant's visitors (as opposed to guests who are staying at the hotel) may have had negative experiences at the hotel restaurant is that the hotel doesn't necessary want to cater to them. The most beautiful thing about this hotel, and one of the main characteristics for which I was willing to fork over the big bucks) is that it is small and intimate. They may be concerned that having more than 40-odd people on the premises (the hotel only has about 22 rooms) may spoil this quaint feeling, and I don't blame them. The 2 nights we ate in the restaurant, we were able to simply appear at the front desk and be seated right away, without having to worry about reservations (after all, wasn't that why we went on vacation, so we wouldn't have to worry about anything?) This was a real perk to us--something you can't do when staying in a big resort. Perhaps the only way the hotel can maintain this is by giving outsiders the cold shoulder? I don't know, and this is a real shot in the dark, but it is the only conclusion I could come up with. I guess the question is whether any hotel guests (as opposed to outside restaurant guests) have felt rejected because they were American (or for any other reason, for that matter). The only other thing I can think of is that my husband is fluent in Spanish (albeit with a gringo accent, which gives him away). As an aside, just so I have some credibility, I am not your usual luxury-hotel type, whatever that is...we spent our days away from the hotel on Playa Las Gatas and Barro de Potosi. Just a thought to allay any fears any future visitors may have.
Finally, thanks to everyone on this board for their insight--we took a stack of printouts with us and had a great time!

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO