PHIL: Troncones Report 1 - People

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Ernie Gorrie desde 24.87.253.31 (S010600045ad07b9a.vc.shawcable.net) el día miércoles, 17 de noviembre, 2004 a las 20:36:11 horas :

In response to Phil's request below, here is the first of three postings.

Introduction

These next postings aren’t so much a trip report as some observations based on recent trips to Troncones. I will, of course, defer to ongoing locals like Anita LaPointe, my tocayo Ernesto at Casas Gregorio, and others for details where I go astray. I think the total is too long for one posting, so I’ll break it into three parts: Intro and People, Transportation and Restaurants, and Development.

First, the changes in Troncones over the past 10 years are phenomenal. When my wife and I met Dewey McMillin around 1994 he took us on a drive toward Playa Manzanillo. The road was not wide enough to allow the truck past the “hump” between PR’s house (now Casablanca) and Playa Manzanillo. In fact, we were afraid that Dewey was going to kill us and our bodies would never be found. Instead, he helped us get our own piece of heaven without having to die.

People

Many familiar faces are around. Anita LaPointe at Tropic of Cancer continues to be an important part of the community. While I was visiting in November she was hurrying about to ensure that Richard’s donation of the playground equipment was installed properly in time for the inauguration. (It was.) And when I was dumb enough to think that I could continue to do yard work wearing nothing but shorts, she didn’t say “I told you so” when a scorpion objected to my disturbing it.

Dewey was absent for a while earlier this year as he and Jill tested out Patzcuaro. I think the conclusion was, “a nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there”. If home is where the heart is, I think Dewey is at home in Troncones. While many people have contributed to make Troncones what it is, if it were not for Dewey, I doubt that any of us would have heard of Troncones.

Cam and Bev are back at Regalo del Mar for another season and of course, Posada Eden had its season opening where I was able to meet many folks for the first time. Troncones really is turning out to have some interesting residents.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO