Re: Driving

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Scott desde 200.77.144.100 (host-200.77.144.100-cust.telemedia.net.mx) el día martes, 17 de mayo, 2005 a las 23:37:35 horas :

En respuesta a: Driving escrito por John La Plante desde 66.82.9.82 (dpc6682009082.direcpc.com) el día martes, 17 de mayo, 2005 a las 19:45:42 horas :

Has anyone been this way, if so what can you tell me about the drive; time from El Paso etc to Morelia, nice places to stay, eat and any other tid bits

I did this trip on my motorcycle in January.

The total distance was 2577 km, and that was fairly direct, with not a lot of detours.

My route was: El Paso to Chihuahua to Creel to Los Mochis, to Mazatlan, Guadalajara and finally Morelia.

While I did Creel to Los Mochis driving, if you aren't up for it (very remote 14 hour stretch of dirt from San Rafael to Choix), there is a very scenic passenger train that you can take, and they have a service to transport vehicles on the train.

See: http://www.chepe.com.mx/

This would make for a very memorable trip. Much more scenic than Laredo to Morelia, which is mostly desert. If you take 45 all the way down to Durango, to Zacatecas to Aguascalientes, it is mostly desert as well.

If you take 45 to Durango, don't go to the nudie bar downtown. It's the only place where I have ever been blatantly scammed. I paid for a beer with a 200, and my change was a 1 dollar US bill. But feel free to go give that bitch a good kick in the ass for me.

I can confirm that Durango to Morelia is an easy days drive. The only bad stretch is from Celaya to Morelia, but I think that road isn't so bad as it used to be. El Paso to Chihuahua is an easy 4 or 5 hours. So you could probably do it that way in two days. My recommended way might add a day or two to your trip, but is well worth it!

If you have any specific questions, maybe I can help you. But my idea of a "very nice place to stay" is usually in the 200 - 300 pesos / night price range!

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO