Re: sailfish and releasing /stomach?

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Ed Kunze desde 200.65.171.147 (dup-200-65-171-147.prodigy.net.mx) el día miércoles, 16 de febrero, 2005 a las 06:30:53 horas :

En respuesta a: sailfish and releasing /stomach? escrito por XX desde 64.185.181.233 (ip-64-185-181-233.adsl-dhcp.dsl.gvtc.com) el día miércoles, 16 de febrero, 2005 a las 01:53:39 horas :

This has been an ongoing concern of mine for several years now. I can't name the studies done on the subject, but there have been several. Basically, after you release the sailfish, he will swim about 40 to 50 feet away and suck his stomach back in.

He throws his stomach to rid it of a foreign object...the hook.

Some writers have claimed it is best to put it back with a pole, like a tagging stick, but my experience has proven it is not necessary. I have put the stomach back when it came out through the gill plates and not the mouth. The fish must have thrown his stomach in the middle of some serious leaps and head shaking.

The only time I will allow a fish to be killed is when he has been hooked in the gills, and he is bleeding badly.
Some critics to catch and release say a badly stressed fish is just shark food, because it may take several days to recover. We have no sharks here, so that is one argument that will not hold up either.

I have always said, even if a fish has only a 10% chance to live....it is 100% greater than if it is laying on the dock.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO