Re: My taxi scam story

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por maria desde 65.216.70.62 (wesout.firstam.com) el día jueves, 17 de febrero, 2005 a las 15:25:26 horas :

En respuesta a: My taxi scam story escrito por Ed C. desde 206.124.22.245 (host-22-245.netproco.com) el día jueves, 17 de febrero, 2005 a las 14:53:13 horas :

We also got "mauled" at the airport by a rep from the Barcelo. They really won't let you near the counter! I paid 300 pesos for a regular taxi for the two of us, and told the guy I'd call him about the rebate and whatever presentation he wanted me to see. Of course I didn't- my free time is worth more than that, and I expected the ride from the airport to be overpriced so I just sucked it up and paid!

But here's my beef about the driver. He didn't know where he was going (Casa Lolita) and didn't bother to tell us that or ask BEFORE he left the airport. We told him the name of the hotel (and I do speak enough Spanish that communication wasn't the issue) he nodded and drove off. To make matters worse, I had lost the paper with the address and phone number, but finally remembered the street name. He found it from there after stopping and asking a lot of people, but in the mean time, we spent a long time driving around in circles.

About the local taxis, I'm generally a fan and I've gotten good information and great service from the drivers, in Ixtapa/ Zihua as well as other parts of Mexico. BUT this last trip, there was a tendency to not have or give change (and I usually do tip, but I don't like when the drivers assume its OK to not give change) and they really harrassed the bus driver(s) leaving Carlos and Charlies with the skydivers heading for the airport to make our jumps. Essentially they have to pay off the "taxi mafia" (Whichever driver is first in line) just to leave the premises. These drivers get paid to do nothing but sit and wait for the bus to pass.

And the trend of not telling us they didn't know where they were going until we were driving around in circles continued. By the second day, we could direct the drivers ourselves, but the first 2 or 3 trips were annoying, and I'm not usually annoyed over ANYTHING when I'm in Mexico! Really- permagrin from the time the plane lands until it takes off a week later. Just ask my friends!

sigh..... I guess I've lost my naive and sunny attitude about the taxi drivers in Mexico!

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO