Trip Report

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Carol desde 205.174.40.29 (?) el día martes, 22 de febrero, 2005 a las 09:31:14 horas :

Well, I've been back a few weeks now and trying to adjust to reality after 3 relaxing, beautiful weeks in Ixtapa/Zihua....our favorite place in the whole world. This was trip 4 for us to the Zihua area (3 years to Puerto Vallarta prior). We stay at Las Brisas every year and really enjoy it there, however, we eat most of our dinners in Zihua at all the wonderful restaurants.

We left Chicago on Jan 16th (good time to get away from here) and flew direct to Zihua. Flight was good.....a lot of empty seats which surprised me since this is a direct flight to Zihua. We got the DREADED red light in customs (first time) and we had a lot of luggage because we were staying for 3 weeks. I have to say the Mexican Customs are much more curtious than shown to us with American security. We were out of there quickly. Ricardo from Amuleto was waiting for us at the airport. We spent 3 beautiful, relazing, glorious, days at Amuleto in one of the Master Suites with a private pool. There are only 5 suites there which makes it very private and quiet....my husband calls it: 'shockingly peaceful'......the food was excellent and we were sad to leave our beautiful surroundings (especially the outside shower). We went on to Las Brisas in Ixtapa for the next 18 days. Each year we go back to Las Brisas we always love it just as much. It is a beautiful place and very quiet. Weekends get a little busy, but that is no problem.

some of the new restaurants that we tried this trip were:
Rossy's on La Ropa.....had red snapper that was the BEST we have ever had!
Paty's on La Ropa......coconut ice cream...yum.....(next year we will definitely eat dinner there)
Caprichos......great atmosphere....made us feel like we were in a New Orleans courtyard.......food was good......service slow
Casa Bahia.....nice atmosphere, romantic (until a volleyball team of 16 sat next to us). The restaurant was very busy and noisy. We received our entree and then were forgotten about. The owner came over and sat with us and apologized and offered to buy us an after dinner drink. He was a very nice guy. I would definitely go back but would make sure no large groups were going to be there at the same time.
Amuleto - dinner was a magical experience, food was excellent, views are amazing and very private
Il Mare - nice restaurant, good food, great views, service was slow
El Mangler - we enjoyed our dinner here, very uncrowded and checked out the campground in the rear
Chuleto - food was very good, we enjoyed our dinner here.

There are still several recommended restaurants on our list for next time.

We also visited some of our favorites:

El Faro is by far our all-around favorite:
good food, romantic, great service, and very close to Las Brisas...

Some of our other favorite restaurants that we did not make it to this year are:
La Sirena Gorda
Casa Elvira on el pescador
Coconuts
El Sanka Grill
Deborah's in Ixtapa
Disco Taco (they are no longer there in front of Christine's.....:(

We met up with the bulletin board group on 1/19 at Blue Mamou and that was great.....this is really a great club and the music is the best! Overall, the trip was wonderful. I would like to spend some more times at the restaurants on La Ropa Beach next year. We are already booked for next January for 2 weeks. Thanks to everyone on the board that contribute wonderful information and especially to Rob for all his efforts of putting this site together and maintaining it.

Carol............pictures later

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO