Things I Forgot/Travel Tips/TopTen (diplomacy switch 'off'')

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Fygar desde 69.18.90.253 (kmc-dialup.main.nc.us) el día sábado, 26 de febrero, 2005 a las 15:23:46 horas :

A couple of things I forgot:

We had a couple of friends stay at Casa Celeste downtown. It seemed very nice and laid back. A few things though: Nobody knows where it is, which, in its own way, is good. Arriving guests should get directions. There’s quite a bit of noise from nearby bars (Zorro’s and the other places around the corner) and the AC units are a little noisy. However, for 40 bucks a night you get a big room, a little fridge, a coffee maker, a nice shower/bathroom and you’re a block off the beach.

Speaking of those bars on that corner, it seemed like the one across the street from Zorro’s (towards the bay) was the most laid-back and least pretentious. Mauricio was very friendly and charming (his dad owns MJ Richies). He even offered to change the music to something we liked but the mellow trip-hop beats were perfect for drowning out the classic rock and disco coming from everywhere else. That whole zone is pretty funny: we were just looking for a quiet, late-night beer; it’s surprising how hard that search gets after 11pm.

Trip Tips/Smartass observations in no real order:

1. When you get to Zihua, buy yourself a 1.5 liter bottle of water of your choice. Go out to the Comercial, buy a ten liter bottle for thirteen pesos and refill your 1.5 liter bottle from that. Repeat as needed. I think over our two week stay, the wife and I went through 5 or 6 ten liter bottles.

2. La Madera: The Perfect Beach. It’s laid back enough that you can leave your stuff anywhere on the beach and go swimming as long as you want. The water stays shallow for a good distance and it’s nice and sandy as far out as you can swim. There are three places that seem to encapsulate the Mexican beach restaurant: MJ Richies, Las Brisas, and La Perla Dona Maria. Kinda gringo-y (that’s not a slam), fancy-schmancy (that’s kind of a slam) and home cookin’ local style (mmmm. . . extra spicy ceviche). Take your pick. And, finally, there’s just not the traffic that you get over at La Ropa. No jet skis or para-gliders on this little, perfect beach.

3.Overheard: “Guacamole? I think the name comes from “mashed”, you know, like “Guac” is “mashed”? Kinda like “mashed potatoes”. Now, just to be clear, “Guac” comes from “Aguacate” (avocado) and “mole” comes from, well, mole.

4. Hey Tourists! I know you’re on vacation, in a different country and it seems like there are no rules but, guess what? The street is not an extension of the sidewalk. The street is not your personal, fifteen-foot wide aisle of luxury. The street is for cars, so get out the way!

5. Hey Tourists! You went to the girly-bar-show last night? That’s great, but how ‘bout you discuss it in your room or on the beach? Or, if you have to talk about it in the restaurant at Irma, how ‘bout you keep it down? My wife and I don’t need to hear about how great your lap dance was. Really, we don’t.

6. There’s a great breakfast at Fonda Susy. Walk away from the bay, past Café Nueva Zelandia, and head past the street that’s currently torn-up. Susy is up on your left, painted bright-blue and ready to go with fantastically spicy chilequiles, huevos al gusto and decent coffee!

7. Overheard from woman walking her dog as sad, Mexican street dog innocently approaches: (shouting) “I don’t know whose dog that is, but it better stay away from my baby!”

8. Drink lots of water before you land. Especially if you get in during the day. It’s hot, hotter than you think. Get hydrated, and then head to the beach for your micheladas. It’ll save you the dehydration headache and exhaustion.

9. Best Dada Graffiti on the bridge over the canal at Playa Principal: “Lucky, Kitty, Tea”. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

10. Aguas de Sabores at La Michocana off of the Zocalo/basketball court. The perfect dessert!
11. Confidential to the waiter along restaurant row at Playa Principal: Not all Gringos/Europeans/Tourists are looking to buy weed. Oh, and your schtick of holding out a menu, saying “Whatever you want, amigos!” and then whispering, “I got your weed, pot, anything you want” as you follow us down the sidewalk? Yeah, that doesn’t really make us want to eat at your place. And by the third time you did it, we started to avoid that stretch all together so, bummer, you’re kinda screwing everybody down there.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO