Great Question

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Dorado1 desde 199.243.54.49 (?) el día lunes, 28 de febrero, 2005 a las 20:25:37 horas :

En respuesta a: Tagging Fish escrito por Mike from New Jersey desde 69.142.25.47 (pcp09330914pcs.brick201.nj.comcast.net) el día lunes, 28 de febrero, 2005 a las 17:04:01 horas :

The returns of tagged fish are VERY limited. This is why tagging is SO IMPORTANT. To my knowledge, of all the fish we have tagged in going on 5 years in ZIH, only 3 have been returned. I don't remember the first one, it was however caught in the ZIH area within 10-14 days of being tagged, the 2nd was tagged by Capt. Cali in I think in the '02 Fintastic Tag & Release Tournament by Richard Spillman of CA, caught 23 days later in Guatemala, 323 miles SE of ZIH. Some Satellite tags (9) where brought to ZIH last year by efforts from myself and Ed Kunze, Ellen Peel of the TBF and Dave Holts of NMFS. In short the results published in the IGFA International Angler and the TBF Billfish (9 fish were tagged) are: 4 tags did not have recoverable data. The others were:

19 Days at large, 238 miles toward Guatemala
25 Days at large, 286 miles SW out of EEZ of MX
30 Days at large, 295 miles SW out of EEZ of MX
22 Days at large, 345 miles toward Guatemala
EEZ is the Economical Enviromental Zone ( I think).

We don't know where #9 is!!!

OH, the 3rd tag recovered was a Roosterfish, tagged in 03 and caught again in 04 on the beach by Petalan. We know who but not why someone tagged this fish!!

So in answer to your question, you may or may not ever have a tag recovered, chances are VERY, VERY slim, I have tagged over 200 in 40 years, never a return, but I keep trying. If you do have a TBF tag recovered you will recieve a letter as to who, when & where. I think the NMFS does the same.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO