Please Don't Help Squatter Community

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.138.15.32 (dsl-201-138-15-32.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día martes, 08 de marzo, 2005 a las 15:46:57 horas :

En respuesta a: Need help getting school supplies to Zih escrito por Maura Lee desde 24.64.223.204 (px2cv.gv.shawcable.net) el día martes, 08 de marzo, 2005 a las 12:43:12 horas :

I would certainly hope that you would reconsider supporting a school in a community that is made up of squatters occupying what is supposed to be an ecological zone. Apparently this project you belong to has allowed itself to be used as a pawn in our local political game, bringing help to a community where it was promised (but not delivered) by politicians seeking their votes. The community at large made an exception allowing one such school to be built with the help of charity from foreigners, and now that same director holds a political position within local gov't and is encouraging another such project because it suits her political interests; however, this time it is a more blatant attempt to help squatters in general rather than simply helping build a school for indigenous children to learn Spanish and English. While your goodwill is certainly appreciated, I believe it is nevertheless misguided in this case.

This is not a matter that foreigners should get involved in. It is a social problem throughout our country that we need to be allowed to deal with without interference from foreigners.

We would wish to see our ecological zones free of squatters again, but this is becoming increasingly complicated while foreigners are assisting squatters to further establish their permanence.

There are many needy local schoolchildren who do not live in squatters communities who could use your help. Both the villages of Barra de Potosí and Troncones currently have ongoing projects to help benefit their schoolchildren, and my wife is also happy to accept donations for children. She will make sure they get to needy children who don't live in squatters' communities.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO