Re: Driving routes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Linda Fox on November 22, 2001 at 12:19:51:

In Reply to: Driving routes posted by jrlarson on November 21, 2001 at 10:33:37:

Cross the border and take 101 to Cuidad Victoria (4 hours on two lane road but not a lot of traffic). If getting late, there are two motels on the right meters from the bypass. Take the bypass around town (it's easy to see) and hit the mountain. Up and down in 1/2 hour--fantastic views. After mountains, about 2 hours to intersection with 57. Head south to San Luis--good four lane road. If getting late, don't take the bypass and continue to south edge of town taking a three-quarter turn around huge statue and continue on 57. Great hotels line both sides of the road. My favorite is on the left about a half mile called Las Palmas. Clean cheap and the best steakhouses a block walk south. If early, take bypass around San Luis and continue on 57 to Queretero about 2 hours. If late, don't take bypass but continue on 57 to north end of town and stay at Azteca or further on the Holiday Inn. The bypass takes you around town toward Mexico city which you have to go thru and can be awful and then on the super highway to Acapulco and Zihuat.
I prefer to go almost thru Queretero to the toll road to Celeya. Before you hit Celeya, there is a turnoff to Morelia. It's two lanes for a few hours, then in Morelia, take the bypass around to the turnoff to Uruapan. It's toll. Continue on the new tollroad to Zihuat (almost finished) and hit Lazaro Cadenas and follow the easy signs for Zihuat. I do it in two days and if I can cross the border early--before 8, then I stay in Queretero and make Zihuat the next afternoon. Three days is easy with at stop in San Luis, Uruapan (great hotels) and then on to Z. If these directions aren't clear e-mail me and I'll try to be more specific.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup