Melia Azul trip report-part 1

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by luv2travel on January 12, 2001 at 12:02:44:

I stayed at the Melia Azul Ixtapa (all-inclusive) from 1/6-11/01. After reading such mixed reviews on the Melia, I wanted to add my 2 cents. We took an Apple vacation, which for me meant a straight flight from Chicago (where I live). The plane (Ryan International Air) was absolutely full and a bit more than cramped on the flight there; on the way back it was fine, still full but more room between seats. Apple Reps met us after customs and we boarded a bus which after a very nice 25 minute ride, through Zihuat and Ixtapa brought us to the Melia. It was around noon, and we could check-in but would not be able to get our room until 3pm. Not a problem, they snapped an all-inclusive wrist band on us and we changed and headed for the pool. You decend a set of escalators to the Lobby (from the reception area) and have a beautiful view. There is also a very nice bar on this level ideal for watching the sun set. Then down a flight or 2 of steps (there is also an elevator) to the pool area. There are 2 pools plus a kids pool with slides and fun fountains and such. The pools are ~3.5-4' in depth and very well kept. We never saw any debris floating or broken tiles and the chlorine levels were perfect. We snagged a chair and quite soon a poolside waiter approached us and we ordered drinks. The wait staff was never intrusive and seemed to appear as we finished our drinks inquiring as to our needs. There are also several bar huts scattered around lest you go without a drink for too long. There were water aerobics going on in the main pool and the music did get a bit loud as we were close to the activity hut near where the aerobics was going on. This pool was busier than the other due to the activities, which went on between ~12-2pm. This pool also had a swim-up bar which is always fun. All in all the pool was great. The other pool being quieter. The one comment about the pool that I would consider a possible negative is that people tend to get up early when the towel hut opens (8am) and reserve their seats and also a few of the possibly 30 rafts. People tend to leave their towels out all day coming and going from the pool. This was not a problem if you got up early too and reserved your 'spot'. There were always open chairs, but the prime locations are taken early and your chance of getting a raft was slim to none if you got the the hut after ~8:30am. But, people were nice enough about sharing.

Our room was nice with tile floors and ample room and air conditioning. All rooms have ocean views. The hotel is beautiful, the grounds very lush and colorful with obvious maintenance done on the grounds, but at odd hours so as to not interfere with patrons. We never was any maintenance done. The beach was dark colored and well maintained. There were a few vendors on the beach, and parasailing (not done by the hotel, but a private establishment). We found the vendors were easily dissuaded by a 'no gracias'. There were many pelicans near shore which were fun to watch and were kept out of the Melia's area fairly well by nets keeping the fish out (at least this was my assumption). But were are more lay by the pool people rather than lay on the beach people, so this didn't bother us at all. There were quite a few families staying at the Melia and it appeared a very good family resort. There is a kids club, which I overhead a parent talking about which their girls liked and they learned some Spanish numbers and phrases as well.

Next chapter next week: food and getting out of the hotel and into Ixtapa dn Zihuat.

Follow Ups: