Re: kids and troncones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ernie Gorrie on January 15, 2001 at 22:21:28:

In Reply to: kids and troncones posted by jean on January 15, 2001 at 21:20:47:

There can be lots to do if you want to, but if you love solitude, nature and swimming all of that is waiting for you at Casa Manzanillo.

Casa Manzanillo is situated at Playa Manzanillo. I think that Playa Manzanillo is the best swimming beach in the Troncones area. Casa M. is about a three minute walk from our house, so I know the area.

The beach in this area will be great for a seven year old to explore. To the south is a very sandy area with coral washed up on the beach. Punta Troncones is about 15 minutes walk to the south. Right at the tip of Punta Troncones is a huge tidal pool... maybe 50 meters long by 15 meters wide. Take a snorkle mask or two. You can lay on your stomachs and watch the tropical fish inches below you.

Just to the north the beach has large lava rock formations with dozens of tidal pools. Part of this beach is thousands of sea shells. (There is a shellfish bed just off of the point.) The rest of the beach is sand. If you find the southern part of the beach to be too crowded (like a dozen people or so) you'll find the northern part more private.

This spot is about a 10 minute walk into the village of La Majahua where there are several restaurants. And five minutes to the south is Restaurant Cocina del Sol where mom can enjoy a tasty dinner in a quiet relaxing atmosphere.

If you want to, rent mountain bikes locally and see the area... or hire one of the locals to take you on the hike up to the cave.

And here's a tip for people taking kids to Troncones. Take a kite or two. There is often a nice on-shore or off-shore breeze that will support a kite nicely. I'm planning to take one on my next trip. And take one of those giant bubble wands with giant bubble solution. I don't know whether you'll be able to get good air at Casa Manzanillo, but I'm planning to float some huge ones off of our rooftop deck in May.

Follow Ups: