zihua

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tess on February 25, 2001 at 18:44:13:

We went to Zihua 1-20 thru 1-27-01. It was juat what we were looking for. A quaint village, where everyone was so genuine and nice, the scenery awesome and the accomodations fine.

We had read the nightmares about Villa Mexicana, and were scared. When we arrived, we were given keys to two Garden View, Standard rooms that were updated and very nice. We did see that some of the rooms weren't updated - so, beware when you make reservations. It appeared that the rooms overlooking the pool still needed to be renovated. We overlooked a garden area, and the fountain. The staff were friendly, and the restaurant good.

The restaurant we spent the most time was Elvira's. What a great place, with good food and friendly waiters. Margaritas were excellent too! We enjoyed eating meals with our toes in the sand and listening to the surf just behind us. Nelson even gave us shots of Mezcal -he knows how to keep us coming back!

Being foreigners, we were a bit leary of the produce, water, etc. We found many safe restaurants, thanks to ZihuaRob! Especailly Atolles Y Tamales - the waiter was outstanding. He knew we were overwhelmed by the menu, so he brought out a sampler plate of everything. The quesadillas and carne asada were quickly eaten! Go there - you won't regret it. We did regret going to Kau Kan - man! was that over rated! The waiter ignored my mom, sister and I - when he did take our order he didn't even look at us or fake a smile. Too expensive, unimpressive - stay away.

One major disappointment was the "Fiesta" we went to in Ixtapa at the Dorado Pacifico. The food was dull, the entertainment like Disney, and the tourists were embarassing. The drinks were included, however, the service was difficult to get a hold of, and then when we did get the drink they were weak. Avoid the tourist trap of this one. We were glad to see the beautiful hotel - we needed to know that we made the right choice of staying in Zihua. Ixtapa was reminicent of Las Vegas. I do need to add that my husband also got sick from the food offered at the "Fiesta." We all ate pretty much the same thing, we think it was the fresh salsa or the steamed vegetables that were on the buffet. He was out of commission for 3 days - the Immodium AD didn't even help!

Overall, the Zihua trip was one I would recommend to anyone. I felt safe, and definitely felt like I was on a tropical adventure.

Tess G.
Columbus, OH

Follow Ups: