Get a Job vs Make a Job

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob from Colorado on February 28, 2001 at 07:04:20:

Recently, both on this board and Mexonline.com, I have read where someone wants to 'get a job' and live in Mexico. Who could blame them. Mexico (and Zihua for sure!) is a great place.
Most of the responses are negative, and rightly so if you put it in the prospective of getting a regular job and living a regular life. Mexicans need the jobs first so we don't want to take anything away from them. This means you musr FIRST fill a job description that most Mexicans can't (which I doubt) or have the skills that Mexico needs but doesn't have enough of (life a biotech engineer). General labor Mexico has plenty of. Mostly, if you want to work, your best first step is to teach English, and this is best done if you speak the native language of Spanish.
What Mexico needs is entrepreneurs that will create jobs for Mexico. In Zihuatanejo most entrepreneurs start a business that accommodates tourists, and heaven knows tourism is big business in Mexico. Unfortunately, most foriegners go that route starting a B&B, resturant, gift store and the like. For anyone that can expand beyond the tourist rehlm of business, AND, live within the economy and environment of Mexico (it's called cutting your cloth according to your income)AND provide an opportunity based income (that's one where you don't only feed your children but send them to a higher based education)for a Mexican family...now that where you will find a BIG WELCOME.
So, start a business, employ at least one Mexican, and have at it. That's how you work and live in Mexico.
It doesn't have to be a big venture, but one that expands the interest of the community as a whole. Something with export value is what I may have in mind for any such venture. If you have capitol that's a good beginning.
I welcome all "positive" responses to this. Like anyone doing a venture remember that there are some downsides that need to be explored, and remember,

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

Follow Ups: