Trip Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Clark on March 08, 2001 at 04:50:42:

We just returned on Monday from a one week stay at the Las Brisas in Ixtapa.
This is our fifth year in a row at this property and find it to be a first class hotel, though
not inexpensive, with a quiet beach, great pools, excellent food, good service, and
spectacular sunsets. Some people might be put off by the amount of walking required to
get around the 35 acre property, but we feel the seclusion is worth the work. You do have
to take a taxi to go into either Ixtapa or Zihautenajo, but the cost is only 20 and 30 pesos
respectively.
If you want to swim use the pools. The surf here is very rough and every year we
see someone get hurt by the crashing waves. The red flags are there for a reason.
Our typical day includes a big breakfast, on the beach in the shade of a palapa by
10 AM, read, watch the waves and people, snack, read, head back to the room by 4 PM to
clean up, cool down, nap, watch the sunset, and then head into town, usually Zihuatenajo,
for dinner. Very relaxing for us. We do a little shopping, not much buying, dance one
night at Carlos ‘n Charlies, tour downtown Zihuatenajo, and eat lots of seafood.
Our restaurant reviews are as follows:
La Perla on Playa la Ropa - Great beach atmosphere, view of the yachts at anchor in the
bay, and good seafood at reasonable prices. We both had lobster.
Garrobos in Zihuat - This is one block off the main street, but great food at very
reasonable prices and Eloy our waiter provided very attentive service including Mexican
coffee prepared at the table. I really enjoyed the garlic sautéed octopus, very tender and it
tastes somewhat like shrimp or lobster.
Tobaga’s in Zihuat - Very busy and a fun place to watch people stroll by. The tuna was
great, but even by Mexico standards I thought the service was slow.
Valentinos’ in Ixtapa - Garden setting with romantic Mexican music. They were out of
fresh tuna, and the other items on the menu were too heavily sauced for our tastes. The
service was poor. It appeared they were understaffed and confused about which waiter
had which tables.
Beccafino’s at Ixatapa Marina - The tuna and seabass were excellent. You get so used to
laid back (slow) service in many local restaurants that the prompt and professional service
we received here was a very pleasant surprise.
Porto Mio - This is one of the prettiest restaurants we have ever visited, with a small bay
encircled by rock cliffs. It is well lighted and the rhythmic surge of the water into and out
of the bay is very relaxing, but I will never return. Not only was my Cuban pork chop (I
finally decided to try something besides seafood) tough as shoe leather and the service
just passable, but our hostess arrived at the same time as our check to offer us a free
breakfast on Sunday morning and the opportunity to tour their “very exclusive” lodging
accommodations (time share).
Las Brisas II - I know the rap that many hotel restaurants get, but this is a very special
place located on a series of terraces just above the beach. The food and service is what
you would expect from the finest restaurants. Very attentive and professional service
with many items prepared table-side.
All in all, we had a great time again and really want to encourage 1st timers to Ixtapa to
venture into Zihuatenejo. You really miss the best part of the area if you don’t. We went
to the Mercado and that is really a treat.
See y’all next year!

Follow Ups: