Teens on vacation, my 2-cents worth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jean in Oregon on April 02, 2001 at 15:35:35:

In Reply to: Re: trip report -- Ixtapa Zihua posted by Tanya in Rosenberg Tx on April 01, 2001 at 23:50:50:

Tanya, we were there last week with our 18 and 20 year old sons, and a 17-year-old friend. We stayed on Playa Madera and I too wondered if we should go to Ixtapa because of activities where the kids could meet other kids. I think that if we just had brought one of the boys, it might have been more of a problem, but our guys did just fine. I'm thinking that maybe staying on Playa LaRopa would have been a little more social and better for meeting other kids. I talked to a woman from Alaska who was back at Hotel Paraiso down at the end of LaRopa with the crododiles and was back for the third year. She and her husband were in one of the beach front units and their 17 year old daughter and her friend were in one of the back units. They thought this was a great arrangement.
My kids speak Spanish, having been exchange students in Spanish speaking countries but never having been to Mexico, and so were anxious to "blend in" in town as much as possible. They were very pleased with our whole trip.
They especially liked having Hector take us out snorkeling to Playa Manzanilla. There is much information about that on this board and you should do it. I kept worrying that the kids would need more "entertainment" but they, like me, just loved walking around town on sort of a perpetual motion basis.
I do think that wherever you stay is where you feel more comfortable. I had trouble settling in at LaRopa and I think if we had stayed there it would have been easier. I have read several people on this board who have stayed at Ixtapa and seemed uncomfortable when they came to Zihua. We certainly felt uncomfortable when we went to Ixtapa.
Another reader on this board said that they never stayed the whole time in one hotel, which seemed odd to me at the time but now I think I get it. Most places weren't full when we were there last week, and maybe just booking for the first few days and then seeing if you feel like moving would be the way to go, as long as you are not there during holy week.
Anyway, my feeling about it now is that there is no one perfect situation but you can hardly go wrong with any of the options.
Have a great time. We sure did.

Follow Ups: