Trip Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike from Atlanta on April 08, 2001 at 19:25:15:

My wife says sell everything and retire now in Ixtapa!!

We loved it: people, food, sites, playas (beaches), and sunsets that are perfect every day. Flights into Ixtapa are fun if you have to go though Mexico city, one runway closed we got to see M.C. for 2 hours in the air. Fortunately, we made our connection to Ixtapa and met a very nice gentleman who gave us lots of insight and history of Ixtapa and Zihua.

Then on to Las Brisas for our stay. Room was nice but small, the lanai (as big as the room)was wonderful. All the people at Las Brisas were a wonderful help with everything we needed. Had dinner at the resort restaurant, Portefina. It was a wonderful dinner(seafood pasta and caesar salad.

The first morning I gave a call to a great person (Gene Fisher) who had emailed me from this site to see if he could show my wife and me the sites of the towns. He was wonderful, showed us Ixtapa and then off for a bus ride to Zihua. for a fantastic site of a great town.

We were able to meet Rob at his business, please all of you that travel down there, take time and meet him - he is a great guy. Back to Ixtapa for dinner, instead we drank it at the lounge only to see whales breeching - a mother and a calf showing how much they like Ixtapa also!

Sleeping was not a problem (throw away the wave noise maker because the real thing makes for a late wake up!) sooo good.

Off to Cookies for breakfast, a must do, it was fantastic. Then we were off for shopping at Robertos for jewelry - especially silver, with great prices and the people are very nice. Please ask for Yeyo, you will not be disapointed.

By this time we were hooked and went off to the realtor for information to buy a condo. Dinner this time is JJ's Lobster House for a wonderful dinner and drinks. Had to face another sunset, oh well!

Next day had lunch at Momma Normas for shrimp tacos and cervezas, now we were really! Dinner at El Faros for another made in heaven sunset, also a must do(make reservation for this time of the day). I had a early wake-up call for fishing out of Zihua, with Gene,Yeyo and his son Paco on a panga. It was a good day of fishing and one fantastic boat ride. My wife's birthday was today so off to Beccofinos for sea bass and shrimp in pasta with pink peppercorn sauce and another sunset to die for. But that was not enough - the owner brought out tiramisu for my wife, with a great desert wine.

We stay an extra day, this time in the Continental Plaza. Las brisas was nice but the Continental is much better. We rented a room (619) from Gene Fisher(under condos on this site), you will not be disapointed! It was a wonderful condo with everything you need, in the center of town, walking distance to what you need and great service, I highly recommend the Continental for a great vacation.

Final thougts, the people are very friendly and take the time with the language barrier, safety was no problem, transportation was pretty cheap, 20 pesos for a cab in town and 4 pesos for the bus. The main thing: I was touched by the people who live there, they made me feel very welcome and always helped when there was a need.

Thanks to all the people who made inputs on this site, thanks to Rob for his foresite to help travelers, Gene, you're the best and tell Yeyo and Paco that my spanish is getting muy bien.

Mike and Brenda

Follow Ups: