Zihua Trip Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jules and Blake in Portland on April 19, 2001 at 23:46:14:

Hola everyone! We've been back 2 weeks now, I guess it's time to write my trip report! There was just something so magical and special about Zihua and Troncones (big sigh). I'm sure getting married on the beach at La Perla at sunset on March 31st had something to do with it! I arranged and researched most everything, but I am very thankful that I used the wedding services of Isabel Pais, wedding coordinator muy especial! She made sure that things went very smoothly. She arranged for the trio at cocktail hour and the wonderful 11 piece mariachi band. I hope some of you were there and were able to enjoy the music from that evening.

Let's start from the beginning...Flew in on Alaska airlines, no problems there. Arrived with pesos in hand and got a taxi to La Perla for 180 pesos, we stayed 4 nights at Casa Rosa which is owned by Francisco of La Perla. It was a very sweet, rustic, one bedroom house on the far end of La Ropa, just past La Gaviota. They're building an 8 bedroom hotel next door which should be completed by November (part of Don Francisco's properties). We met a wonderful woman named Abby who owns Casa Larga, which is just below Casa Rosa and Casa Hueso. It turns out that some of our friends who came down for the wedding were staying at her place so we were able to see it. The 2 separate casitas are very nice and we would love to stay there sometime. My sisters stayed at a place just down the street, nice, rustic bungalows although they had a problem with mosquitos. My parents were at Las Tucanes down the road, they enjoyed it there. We had friends at the Sotavento and Catalina, Villa Mexicana and my in-laws were at Bungalows Sotelo. Everyone enjoyed where they were, each place has it's own special ambiance and appeal.

We ate at Kau-Kan the first night, great food, I kept wanting to go back but we wanted to try other places, too. I recommend the ceviche and shrimp gigantes. The second night we ate at La Madera on the beach, great french onion soup, although I think we might have offended the French waiter... The third night we ate at another downtown restaurant, it was a great meal and they accomodated our party of 14. Everyone enjoyed their meals there. The next night, rehearsal dinner night, we ate at Tamales y Atoles Any, what a great meal! They were so accomodating there. They even made a wedding cake for us at no extra charge. A gentlemen came up to us at Tamales and said he had been at La Perla earlier that day and had noticed us there, sorry if we were having too much fun! Saturday was the wedding at La Perla, it was perfect...from the lei's to the wedding cake to the meal to the weather, we couldn't have asked for anything more. Sunday we all took a sunset cruise on Tristar, everyone had a great time and the crew was wonderful. Dinner at La Sirena Gorda, love those smoked fish tacos!! We enjoyed some of the best music that evening. There was a wonderful, big black mustached musician who played jazz for us (he was on the sax), then there was the man on the xylophone, and then the man playing guitar and the pan flute. "Wow". Monday found us at Casa Bahia, great food, wonderful service, Claude at the microphone. The ahi won several people over.

On the wedding day, we moved into the Villa Carolina hotel, we did not want to leave! Beautiful room, pool, grounds. We even had room service. What more could the newlyweds ask for?

I could go on and on but I don't want to bore anyone. We just had the most wonderful time there and everything that everyone says on the message board is true, Zihua is such a magical, special place. I can't wait to go back! And we loved Troncones, too, treat yourself and stay there a few days if you can.

Follow Ups: