On Zihuatanejo Time - Final Chapter

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MB in Chicago on May 09, 2001 at 16:42:56:

In Reply to: Trip Report - On Zihuatanejo Time posted by MB in Chicago on May 07, 2001 at 15:01:27:

Day 6

We did so many things on Day 5 that we decided to just sit back and relax on our final full day of vacation. I must make a special note to tell you about the touching scene that took place today on La Ropa beach. As we sat on our balcony we noticed a large group of people walking towards the public beach next to the hotel. The children were handicapped and were being assisted by adults. Some of the children were completely paralyzed and confined to wheel chairs. As two adults struggled to push one of the older children in a wheelchair through the sand they stopped, exhausted from the effort. The child, who was obviously too excited by the prospect of a day in the sun, began flailing in an effort to get moving again. A third man who noticed the boys excitement came up to him, smiled and hoisted him over his shoulder carrying the boy the rest of the way himself. I couldn’t help but notice how many adults there were assisting the children. There must have been at least two adults to every child. When I pointed this out to my wife she looked a me and said “Haven’t you learned by now how important family, especially children, are to the Mexican people.” A fact that hit me hard but drove my love for this place to a deeper level.

We spent the day on the beach for a little more sun and water. In the afternoon we hit the spa where I got a massage while my wife received a manicure. Then back to the room for a Siesta, one of Mexico’s finest traditions.

Today was our 10th anniversary so in the evening I arranged a candlelit dinner on the beach. The restaurant set up an intimate table for two on the beach off to the side of the restaurant surrounded by flaming torches. They even placed a small table with a fruit basket off to the side to complete the romantic ambience. It was fiesta night so we were able to sample many Mexican dishes and mariachis wandered around and serenaded each table. Hand in hand in our own little world we listened to the sound of the ocean and the Mexican love songs being sung by the mariachis. We renewed the vows we had taken ten years earlier and my wife’s eyes began to tear. It was a very touching and romantic moment for us both.

Day 7 Leaving Paradise

This was our last few hours so we spent them on the beach. Our flight was not until 9PM and we had to check out of the Beach Suite so the Villa Del Sol gave us another room so we could enjoy the day and shower before catching our flight. We sat in the sun and reminisced about the things we did and the people we met.

I can tell you that this vacation was very expensive but can you really put a price tag on the love, memories and people we met. If I did I would have failed to learn the most valuable lessons that the Zihuatanejo people taught me. People like Javier who took time to show us his country. The group of adults with the handicapped children. Rob, Walt, Kate and Andrew, and all of the Zihua-Americans that we met. What was the lesson? That the most important thing in the world is family. And the man who has the love of his family is the richest in the world. I am reminded of a quote I have hanging on the wall in my office that reads:

“Successful is the person who has lived well, laughed often and loved much, who gained the respect of children, who leaves the world better than they found it, who has never lacked appreciation for the earth’s beauty, who never fails to look for the best in others or give the best of themselves.”

I hope you have enjoyed reading this trip report as much as we have enjoyed reliving the memories through writing it.

Mike and Kim

Follow Ups: