walking paths

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ZihuaRob on May 10, 2001 at 21:43:03:

In Reply to: What is the closest hiking trails to Ixtapa posted by Ricardo on May 07, 2001 at 13:23:36:

There are trails everywhere, but none that I would tell people not from here to "take a hike" on since I would not want to send you out to get lost.

However, if you follow the exercise path in Ixtapa that begins at Ixtapa Palace and goes to Playa Linda you'll have quite a good hike and see lots of trails through the woods and at Playa Linda itself where you can do a little exploring. You can cross the river outlet and explore the deserted beach and cliffs at the far end of Playa Linda, also.

Just remember, hiking around here is NOT a walk in the park. There are crocodiles, jaguars, venomous snakes, poisonous spiders and scorpions in the marshes and woods. If you slip and hurt yourself or have an accident it could be quite a while before anyone found you, if ever. There are no Park Rangers to come to the rescue, no trained rescue teams beyond la Cruz Roja and los Bomberos (the Red Cross & Fire Dept.), and I don't think they have much mountain or jungle rescue experience between them. Same goes in Troncones or Barra de Potosí. Take plenty of water, keep your eyes peeled and watch where your walking and you should be fine.

My favorite short hike is to walk to the lighthouse, "el faro", from the beach at Las Gatas. Ask at almost any restaurant and they should be able to point out where the trail begins from the beach. It is not a very hard walk along a fairly decent flagstone path and it only takes about 20 minutes or so to get the the cliff where the lighthouse guarding the entrance to Zihuatanejo's bay is located. The view from there is spectacular of the coastline and the islands. There shouldn't be any jaguars or crocodiles out that way, either. ;~)

Follow Ups: