Trip Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lisa on May 16, 2001 at 12:13:36:

We just got back last week and are already wishing we were back. ZIHUA was an excellent choice. We went to Ixtapa,planning on a full day there, but when we arrived, we definitely wanted to be back in ZIHUA. We ended up staying only 1/2 a day at Ixtapa and knew if we come back again, it will be to stay at ZIHUA.

We stayed at Club Madera #3 and it was great. We had access to the patio up above where we would watch the sunset at night and just relax. Definitely would stay there again.

The taxi service was real easy to use, just make sure you ask how much it cost before getting in. If you realize you have forgotten something when you arrive, there is a Commerical Mexicana located close by that has everything you could possibly need.

The beaches were beautiful. Las Gatas was my favorite. You reach it by a water taxi, leaving from the pier in ZIHUA, 60 pesos for two, roundtrip. It was excellent for snorkeling and the water is really warm. Playa La Ropa was 2nd and I think this was the biggest beach. Also, very nice. Playa Madera was okay, it seemed a bit dirty too me, so we stuck with La Ropa and Las Gatas.

There were many good places to eat. Just about any place you come to is good. We only found one place we were not impressed with and that was OOH LA LA on Madera Beach. We felt they were overpriced and they served us raw chicken. Other then that, just about everywhere we ate was excellent, the food and the service.

Definitely don't be shy in talking with the locals. I learned the most by talking with them. And they are very willing to talk to you. I found they were very helpful in improving my spanish. Very very friendly people.

Oh, one thing, Excuse me is Perdone, not Lo Siento. My husband and I were saying Lo Siento for excuse me until we realized Lo Siento was I'm Sorry. We were wondering why people were looking at us a bit funny.

Be sure to double check your bills. A couple of times we found we were being charged for more than what we ordered, possibly an honest mistake, but might be a good idea to be sure.

My husband went Deep Sea Fishing and loved it. Unfortunately, I ate something bad the night before and had severe stomach cramps so I stayed in bed that day. Judith, the person we rented Club Madera from was great, she brought me some KAYOMYCIN which did the trick. So, if you are an unlucky one and get sick, go get some KAYOMYCIN. It works.

To rap it up, ZIHUA is definitely a place for a relaxing vacation. The beaches are beautiful, the people are wonderful and it is a slower pace of life compared to the states. I think just about anywhere you choose to stay, you can't go wrong whether it is on La Ropa or La Madera Beach. If you are looking to get away from the tourist trap, ZIHUA is the place to go not Ixtapa.

Hope you all enjoy your trip as much as we enjoyed ours.

Lisa

Follow Ups: