Mosquito Legend and Lore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ZihuaRob on June 11, 2001 at 20:30:28:

In Reply to: Mosquitos at Zihuatanejo? posted by Frank Benson on June 11, 2001 at 00:29:06:

Yes, we have mosquitos, and this is the time of year when they can get to be a problem. Not so much because it rains, but because it rains and then it doesn't. Let me draw upon some of my old Florida Legend and Lore to try to explain.

The mosquito can breed in any area where there is calm, standing fresh water or freshwater dampness. The key part here is the need for relative undisturbed tranquility and unsalty water.

So after a decent rain the female mosquitos quickly look for a little something to drink along with a little sex before placing their fertilized eggs in dark, damp, undisturbed places. Their larvae are abandoned to their luck and this is the period when the mosquito is most vulnerable, obviously.

Successful mosquito control programs target this stage of the life cycle as the most critical stage for population control. Spraying programs are too little too late, in most cases, and toxic to the environment. So, DISTURBING their tranquil hatching areas plays a key role here in keeping mosquito populations down, and Mother Nature often helps.

If it rains too soon after the mosquito lays her eggs the number of larvae that may successfully hatch and fly away is greatly reduced. So the frequency between rains can help or hinder any attempts by humans to control mosquito populations. If it would rain every day for an hour we should hardly have any mosquitos! But an ideal world it is not.

I imagine that in San Blas there are extensive flat areas of standing fresh water where the mosquitos breed, and that the long periods between substantial rains contribute to the swarms of mosquitos there.

In our area there are few ponds or marshy areas near Zihuatanejo, and the mosquitos are just starting to currently become somewhat annoying. They didn't bother me at all last week during the evening in Ixtapa, they didn't bother me at all Saturday evening in Petatlán, but 2 of the little bloodsuckers just left about a half a dozen bites on each of my feet within the last half hour!

How's THAT for on-the-spot reporting!?

If you need a mosquito repellent I highly recommend AUTAN, which you can buy locally at practically any store or pharmacy. It comes in all forms: liquids, creams, sprays, etc. A little bit goes a long way, and it works better than anything else I've ever tried, which is probably why it is the most popular product among locals along La Costa Grande of Mexico.

Follow Ups: