Day one complaints, end day one

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leonard on July 16, 2001 at 21:36:28:

In Reply to: PPS to trip Report day one posted by Leonard on July 16, 2001 at 20:17:47:

You know you are in a third world country when you leave the airport and you enter Zihua city limits and its outskirts prior to entering Zihua. Call it quaint, call it what you want. I had no desire to stop until I got to the hotel. The view of the homes on the hills when approaching Zihua is sad. A bit of guilt starts to creep in: you're having fun with lots of money.... .

I was reared on the Texas/Mexico border. It is not my first encounter with this environment. It's still sad. There are a lot of people in Mexico that have a lot, and there are a lot of people in Mexico that have little. So, don't bargain too hard, you are not buying a car. Leave an extra tip every now and then. Give a sweet child a $10 peso coin for no reason, you won't be swamped with Chiclet vendors like you might be in Ciduad Acuna or Ciduad Juarez. Most everyone understood "No thank you." They will leave you alone. Be friendly. Smile. Try to speak the language even if only a word like "gracias," "hola" or "de nada." Not one of them sought pity. Treat them as equals, they probably are no matter their economic status. You can spot the good people without trying very hard. Overall, we encountered only two beggars. Oh, I almost forgot: nearly all the cars are white. Go figure.

Follow Ups: