trip report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by molly on August 10, 2001 at 17:06:59:

This board has been so helpful to me - guess I owe it my two cents... We stayed at the Westin Las Brisas
the third week in July for 4 nights. Got a good deal for air and hotel thru our travel agent. Anyway, our
first trip down-what a wonderful, beautiful place!!! Zihua, the beaches and the surrounding mountains are
simply breathtaking. You who get to live there are sooooo lucky!!!

We enjoyed the Las Brisas but spent our days and meals in Zihua. Took a bus to town the first day, taxis
from then on. No good reason except that the taxis were so reasonable it made sense to do it. And taxi
drivers were so interesting and full of recommendations!!! Some of our best info came from them. Restaurants
that we tried out - Rossey on La Ropa - excellent food and atmosphere. La Ropa was great for a kid - waves
but safe swimming. Otilias (sp?) at Las Gatas was also superb for food, local conversation, and service/atmosphere.
Our friend, Franco, took wonderful care of us. Snorkeling there very early in the am was great!! Clear water with
beautiful fish. I recommend it for children
who want to snorkel. Also ate at La Sirena Gorda in downtown Zihua - also excellent. And Any y Tamales - the
pozole and tamales were to die for. Oh, the last night, we ate at Elviras on the Playa Municpal - also highly
recommend it.

Notice the trend here? We had nothing but excellent meals the whole trip!!! And eating in Zihua was a whole lot more
reasonable than in Ixtapa. We had one meal at JJs in Ixtapa - great food (the lobster bisque and the cocunut
shrimp were outstanding) but spent a whole lot more money there. Almost forgot, we did eat breakfast at the
Las Brisas - their buffet - one of the best omelettes ever and a view to knock your socks off!! (but pricey)

Took the panga out to Isla Ixtapa. Got there first thing in the am..everything I had read said the boats didn't
leave til 11:00 but when we got there at 8:30, had no trouble finding a ride. Went to the side of the beach with
all of the coral and decided to move to the other side (Veradero Beach) as our little girl was having trouble with the rough water.
The other side was calmer and the snorkeling was great - at least, before people started coming. Our meal there was
also superb - a seafood platter with some of everything. What an adventure!!! Again, atmosphere and conversation
with waiters was great. Wish I could remember the name of the restaurant...it was the last one on the beach.
El Paraiso Escondio - or something like that. Anyway, highly recommend it.

A few more observations - We live in Texas and travel to the border frequently. Have also been to PV and Cancun.
This was unlike any other trip to Mexico. The people were wonderful - friendly, outgoing, happy, willing to help
dumb gringos like us. Our little girl had so many great experiences with people - I highly recommend it as a great
place to take kids. I've read some comments to the contrary on this board but don't understand why. What a great
experience for a child!!!

Wish we could have stayed forever, we'll return next year - can still remember the fine people we met, taste the wonderful
seafood and hear the surf pounding........

One last comment - anyone who makes the trip there and spends all of their time in Ixtapa is missing a most
wonderful experience - Zihua is where the flavor is. In more ways than one...

Follow Ups: