Re: Puerta Del Mar

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bret in Portland on August 25, 2001 at 10:32:38:

In Reply to: Puerta Del Mar posted by Trixie Loder on August 25, 2001 at 02:40:10:

Trixie,

My wife and I honeymooned there last year. We got the suite as a gift (it was a timeshare trade), so we don't really know what the price is. I also understand (according to Travel Judy) that there might be a big difference between the rooms that they rent and the timeshare suites. That would be something to take into consideration. My impressions below are based on one of their one-bedroom timeshare suites.

We really liked the place. The staff was very nice, the grounds were shady and green, the pool quite relaxing. The room itself was nice, in a Mexican sort of way. Probably not up to US "Luxury" standards, but big and filled with tile-work and art. Rooms either have a small patio or a balcony and most seemed to have a kitchenette. We also had a very hard bed, but that is fairly normal for Mexico. We also had good air-conditioning and ceiling fans, which, because our room was on the ground floor and the complex isn't near the beach, we needed because of a lack of breeze.

When we were there last January, they were probably at only 50%-60% occupancy, which made it very quiet and nice, especially around the pool. I'm not sure it would have been quite so peaceful if full, but it isn't a large place, so there would never be as many people as at one of the resort hotels.

The main drawback for us was the walk to the beach. You have to walk a long block to get to the main street, cross the main Ixtapa drive, then walk past the Barcelo complex to get to the beach. The first couple of times it was fine, but after that it seemed like a long way. The good news is that Puerta del Mar has umbrellas and chairs on the beach for you to use and they were never full.

The other good thing about being on the "other" side of the commercial business strip from big hotels is that it is very quiet at Puerta del Mar. Also, you are close to several of the cheaper eateries and grocery stores.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay. It was much different than staying in one of the beach front mega-hotels, much more mexican feeling. Would we stay there again? Yes...but to be honest, we are looking for something different this year. Something closer to the beach.

Bret
Portland, Oregon

Follow Ups: